Album Review: Tracy Chapman, Telling Stories

By Megan Guy, Contributing Writer

Tracy Chapman

Telling Stories

Telling Stories

Eleven years after its release and four albums later, the breakout single "Fast Car" remains Tracy Chapman's signature song and biggest hit to date. Nothing on her fifth album, Telling Stories, is going to change or rival that. That said, it is not a bad effort. Bluesy guitars and Chapman's definitive soothing, soulful voice drive the tracks, which range from personal to socio-political, as she tries to return to the intensity and musicality of her early work.

The problem is that the songs never quite get there. Are they melodious? Yes. Lyrical? Yes. Passionate? Hmmm. The lyrics are, but as far as the mood goes, mellow is a far more appropriate adjective. Each song is contemplative and smooth, but no track is dynamic enough in its own right to ever truly distinguish itself. The title track comes close, but never fully peaks. Also of note are the poignant, emotive "Less Than Strangers" and "The Only One," a haunting arrangement featuring Emmy Lou Harris on harmony vocals. Most of the other tracks have a tendency to blend into one another. However, while Chapman's stories may not be of the genre that motivates deep discussion and reflection, they're certainly quality bedtime reading. B