RCAA Alters By-Laws, Will Change Name

The Radcliffe College Alumnae Association (RCAA) took the first step in changing their name at their annual meeting on June 9--Radcliffe Day--altering their by-laws to become a organization governed by a board rather than by its members.

The new by-laws will allow the board to remove mention of the non-existent Radcliffe College from their name in October. The previous arrangement would have made a name change almost impossible.

In 1925, the RCAA became a membership governance organization which, under Massachusetts law, means that a name or charter change requires two-thirds of the members to vote--roughly 20,000 people in this case.

"It isn't really possible in these modern times," RCAA President A'Lelia Bundles '74 said. "In 1925 there were only 1600 women."

An overwhelming majority of those who attended the annual meeting or voted by proxy supported the change--the final count was 189 to 18.

RCAA members were first informed of the possible change in May when they received a letter from the organization informing them of the upcoming vote.

"We wanted to include them in the process and make it open," Bundles said.

Most alumnae seem to be supportive of this change, Bundles said, but some are still concerned about the new structure and the likely change in name.

Recommended Articles

Radcliffe's Status Faces Scrutiny On Anniversary
Last week, the Radcliffe Board of Trustees continued to dodge requests for information from the Radcliffe College Alumnae Association (RCAA)
Radcliffe Medal Given to Former Spelman Pres.
Johnetta B. Cole, the celebrated former president of Spelman College, a historically black women's institution in Atlanta, Ga., will be
Finding Their Proper Place: Three '74 Alumnae Lead RCAA's Transition
In the Radcliffe College Alumnae Association (RCAA) house, a pleasant wood-frame building off of Radcliffe Yard, people chuckle that the
Keeping the Maiden Name
When Radcliffe College signs a merger deal with Harvard this week, it will lose many of its familiar elements--its ties
Radcliffe Alumnae Skeptical Of Final Deal
As Harvard and Radcliffe prepare to sign a final merger document this month, leaders of the Radcliffe College Alumnae Association
Radcliffe Alum Group Ponders Change in Name
The Radcliffe College Alumnae Association (RCAA) will take steps to remove the "college" reference from its name and become simply