Letters

Christians Have Many Views on Sexuality

By Otis GADDIS Iii, Andrew DAVID Olsen, and Denise JORDAN Rosetti, Crimson Staff Writers

To the editors:

It is obvious that Fifteen Minutes’ cover article on Christianity and homosexuality (“Can This Man Make You Straight?”, Sept. 27) has caused a great deal of concern and confusion. As leaders of Harvard-Radcliffe Christian Fellowship (HRCF), one of the organizations mentioned in that article, we want to clarify a few important things.

First, some individual members of HRCF may be involved with Larry Houston or Exodus International, but HRCF itself is in no way involved with or associated with either. More generally, there is great diversity of opinion on the subject of homosexuality within HRCF and the larger evangelical Christian community at Harvard. Indeed, it is inaccurate to imply that there is a consensus among us on the correct stance or appropriate way to approach this subject.

Irrespective of our differences, we wholly reject the rhetoric of certain people in the ex-gay movement. Although many evangelical Christians do believe that homosexual behavior is sinful, we in HRCF absolutely do not believe that this means actively homosexual people cannot be Christians or an active part of Christian community. We want all people to feel fully loved and welcome in HRCF, regardless of their views or practice on this subject. It should go without saying (unfortunately, it does not) that the comments about AIDS being a deserved plague or about wishing violent death to anyone are completely antithetical to everything we believe.

We do desire respectful dialogue on this subject, within our fellowship and within the larger community. More importantly (since even the premise of dialogue is muddled and disputed), we desire respectful relationships and friendships. We do agree that “tolerance,” when practiced merely as silenced judgment and disapproval, is insufficient and unhelpful. On the other hand, significant disagreements are always going to exist. The question of how to respect and understand someone with whom you honestly disagree is very difficult. However, we believe and have seen evidence that it is possible and good to create real and valuable relationships despite these differences. Fundamentally, that ideal is based in our core belief that we all have infinite worth, value and dignity because we were all made by God who loves us incredibly. We hope that through open and honest relationships, we will honor this ideal.

Denise Jordan Rosetti ’02

Otis Gaddis III ’02

Andrew David Olsen ’02

Oct. 2, 2001

Letters