Letters

Gore's Comments Are Welcome

Letter

To the editors:

Re: “Gore Praises Rescue Effort, Public Servants” (News, Oct. 5):

“An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.” True enough, but can’t we achieve the same blindness by sticking our heads in the sand, hoping evil will just go away? This was the question Al Gore ’69 posed to students in a post-speech question and answer session at the ARCO Forum.

As a Republican from Alabama, I was shocked to hear Gore so eloquently express views that I share with regard to possible U.S. responses to the recent terrorist acts. It is precisely because I hold human life so dear—not for revenge or out of fear—that I would support and be willing to die for a cause that would prevent senseless deaths like those on Sept. 11. Gore flatly rejected the No-War-At-All-Costs attitude aired since the attacks and said there has never been a more obvious time for a swift, precise military strike against an enemy.

Gore spoke his mind, and I respect him for that. However, if he were Bush or another Republican, The Crimson would be replete with articles and letters criticizing his narrow-minded patriotism and his lack of careful thinking. He would be childishly referred to as “Captain America,” leading the U.S. to war like “a blind Titan.” Yet, for the simple fact that Gore is the darling of many starry-eyed liberals on campus, this will not happen. Nonetheless, I challenge the Harvard College Democrats to attack Gore as harshly as they have the Republican leaders who share his views, and I urge the Republicans to seek him as their speaker in future rallies for patriotism. Both actions would be in accordance with each party’s ideals.

John F. Simmons Jr. ’02

Oct. 5, 2001

Letters