HLS Classmates Cheer On 'Survivor' Contestant

By By: WILLIAM M. rasmussen, Crimson Staff Writer

One might think that Harvard Law School (HLS) students would be too busy studying torts or securities regulations to care much about reality- based television.

But the scene last Thursday night in Harkness Commons, the HLS student center, suggests otherwise.

Over beer, soda and chips, about 40 students gather each week to cheer on HLS second year student Nick Brown as he braves the Australian outback on CBS's hit show "Survivor."

Brown is in the show's "Kucha" tribe and has made it to episode seven.

"I watch it every week, just because of Nick," says third year student Kristina S. Bennard.

Brown was chosen to be on the show based on an application he

submitted and on interviews, but cannot comment on the show until the last episode is aired in April.

If Brown "survives" the whittling down process, in which participants vote each other off the show, he will take home $1 million.

"I think he could go all the way," Bennard said.

To win, Brown will have to survive mental and physical challenges-and not alienate the other participants, who ultimately decide his fate.

Many viewers think that Brown's strategy is to lie low and not cause trouble.

"He's playing the game really well, although things look bad for him now," says HLS student Frank T. Buford. "He doesn't make himself stand out, which is good."

Dropping the H-Bomb

The world of pop culture rarely crosses paths with Harvard Law School, but Nick Brown has brought the two together.

HLS spokesperson Michael A. Armini says he thought he could take a rest after the Florida election controversy, which embroiled many HLS professors, ended in December.

"But then CBS announced the contestants for 'Survivor II,' he said. "That lit up the phones for the next four days. Reporters called from all over the world."

Armini says they wanted to speak with Brown, his classmates, or his professors, but Armini did not oblige.

"One reporter asked me if [Brown] was looking a little wealthier these days," Armini says.

While Brown's status as an HLS student has certainly drawn attention, how does it affect his chances of winning?

"It probably helps him," says Bennard. "The other participants assumed he was very bright."

Buford said he thought Brown would be teased more for being from Harvard.

"[HLS] doesn't seem to be getting as much publicity as it could have," he said.

As for whether he would root for Brown, Buford said he is torn because he attended Boston College with Elizabeth Filarski, one of the women on the show.

Many HLS students told the Crimson that they had no comment or opinion on Brown and didn't want to be quoted talking about "Survivor."

"Its hard to get jaded law students excited about anything," says HLS student Sarah Chaney acknowledges.

Other Harvard students say they are apathetic about Brown's participation.

"I thought it was cool at first that he was from Harvard, but then I just kind of forgot," Asare said.

The Harvard Law Record, HLS's newspaper, writes updates on the show every week.

Living in the Limelight

By agreeing to participate in the show, Brown knew that he would be placed into a national spotlight.

While viewers agree on Brown's looks, their perception of his performance on the show is not as stellar.

"I think he's cute, but he's really lazy," says Amy Asare '04. "He just watches everyone else. He doesn't cause as much trouble."

But those that know Brown, however, say he is a hard worker.

"He is definitely not lazy," says Bennard, who worked with Brown last summer as he was preparing his application for the show. "He's very

easygoing and fun to hang out with," she says.

Brown, an R.O.T.C. member while at Morehouse College, is currently an

officer in the U.S. Army--a lifestyle that students think will help him on the show.

"He seems to be physically fit. [Although] the other tribes have him

outnumbered, he might win a lot of immunity challenges which are fitness

based," Buford says.

Appearing on "Survivor" has given Brown a small dose of fame.

"I've heard people have asked him for his autograph in Harvard Square, but people here are taking it in stride," Bennard says.

Brown even hosted an undergraduate a capella group's spring concert last weekend. The group-called the Low Keys-performed skits based on Brown's role in "Survivor."

Brown is 23 years old and has worked in the Olympia, Washington attorney general's office and has served as a research assistant for the Human

Rights Commission. He is a member of the Black Law Students Association.

If HLS isn't excited yet, maybe they will be if Brown is able to walk away with the prize.