Three Harvard Magazines Nominated for Awards

Three Harvard University magazines, Doubletake, Transition and the Harvard Medical Alumni Bulletin, have been nominated for the American Society of Magazine Editors' National Magazine Award.

The three magazines, all edited by Harvard faculty members, are competing for the Award for General Excellence in the same under 100,000 circulation category. The winner will receive the coveted "Ellie," a replica of an Alexander Calder elephant sculpture which many view as the magazine equivalent to a Pulitzer Prize.

"I was incredibly honored by this nomination, especially in the company of such highly esteemed magazines," said Paula Byron, an editor of the Harvard Medical Alumni Bulletin.

Byron said the "legacy of very talented physicians" at Harvard Medical School has allowed the Bulletin, which runs with a staff of only three writers, to "break out of the traditional mode of alumni magazines."

Doubletake Magazine--a literary and photography magazine edited by Agee Professor of Social Ethics Robert Coles and Duke University Professor Alex Harris-- has already won the Ellie award for General Excellence once in 1998.

Coles said he hopes that winning again this year will only cause the magazine staff to redouble their effort for the next year.

He ascribes his magazine's success to its unique blend of writing and photography.

"I think we're probably the only magazine in the country that combines the finest photography that we can find available, along with the finest poetry, fiction and non fiction," Coles said.

Recommended Articles

MAXIM MEETS MEREDITH
Meredith B. Osborn '02 was labelled "the feminist" in the January issue of Teen People, a magazine even stupider than
Maxim Meets Meredith: A Feminist Takes on a Macho Magazine
Meredith B. Osborn `02 was labelled"the feminist" in the January issue of Teen People, a magazine even stupider than Maxim.
Literary Magazines Explore New Directions
About two weeks ago, a previously obscure Black journal received campus acclaim for its newly-released 95-page publication. Diaspora surprised a
The 3-Way Battle of the Drama Reviews
The Harvard community is full of theatre nuts. When a quirk of scheduling put four shows in competition last Saturday,
Cliffe Turns to Typing, Publishing in Summer
Radcliffe still manages to prevent its independence from Harvard during the summer -- by concessions to the world business. While
Big Little Magazines: Post-War Inflation in the Avant-Garde
There was a time when Audience meant a twenty-four page poetry magazine peddled on newsstands and street-corners from Cahaly's to