Welcome, Daedalus

Opening of new drinking establishment in the Square should lead to many good times

By The CRIMSON Staff

According to Greek mythology, Daedalus was an Athenian inventor who built the Labyrinth of Minos--and then craftily escaped the island by fastening wings to his back. Although it makes for a great story and an even better name, the connection between the Greek myth and the newest bar-restaurant in the Square simply does not hold. Who would want to fly away from the luxury of Cambridge's newest venture into fine decor, dining and imbibing?

The Crimson warmly welcomes Daedalus to Mt. Auburn Street--indeed, we have been anxiously awaiting its arrival. The Bow and Arrow Pub (made famous in the 1998 flick Good Will Hunting) abandoned us just last year. The ever-popular and chic Grafton Street will have to close its doors and change locations by the end of this year. And it now seems that the Crimson Sports Grille may soon be forced to take a temporary leave of absence.

Granted, the track record for alcohol-serving establishments in the Square may seem daunting, so it may well be that Daedalus will become the most popular attraction on the block by default. Thankfully, however, the bar-restaurant has a lot more to boast than just a liquor license. The owners promise a menu that includes scrumptious meats (including anaconda, the snake featured in the hit song of the early '90s, "Baby Got Back") and an upstairs lounge that sports plush chairs and a groovy dome window.

The establishment has also landed a piece of prime Harvard Square real estate. Daedalus is located just close enough to the River Houses for undergraduates to stumble home safely. It is close enough to Tommy's Pizzeria so that those who have spent all their money on drinks can still scrap together enough for a slice or two. And it is close enough to The Crimson for--well, for headlines to be more interesting from now on.

Our one concern is that Daedalus may become too popular. The establishment has been allotted a specific number of "drinking seats" and, in light of the success rate of typical Harvard parties, we fear that those seats may become filled and stay filled throughout the night. To deal with this possibility--as well as to prepare for the potential success for the Square's chic new bar--Daedalus should make a concerted effort to obtain as many drinking seats as possible.

Trust us, if you build it--and if there's opportunity for good times and good drinks--they will come.