Prominent KSG Grad Buys Aryan Compound

Idaho property to be converted into educational center

By Zachary Z Norman, Contributing Writer

The founder of the Kennedy School of Government's Center for Human Rights Policy (CHRP) has purchased a former Aryan Nations compound and said he plans convert it into an educational center.

Gregory C. Carr, a multimillionaire from Idaho, has taken control of land in his home state previously occupied by Richard Butler, a leader in the Aryan Nations.

Carr, a graduate of the Kennedy School and the former chairperson and founder of the Internet service Prodigy, first conceived of a human rights center last summer, when he heard that the compound was facing bankruptcy.

Carr said he initially thought he might burn down the compound because of its associations with violence and racism, but decided instead that it could be used as an educational tool.

"[My] first impulse is that this is a terrible and disgusting place, but that [destroying it] would probably take away an educational opportunity," he said.

Carr said he hopes the center will help people learn about human rights through displays and videos. He said he plans to get input from local officials as he works renovate the compound.

And although the plans for the center have no formal ties to Harvard's CHRP, Carr said he does see a possible role for University professors to assist in his new endeavor.

CHRP has worked with the Association of Idaho Cities before, said Heather L. Ryan, CHRP's director of domestic projects.

In addition his rights project in Idaho, Carr is working to turn the building that housed the former Harvard Square restaurant Grendel's into a new performing space. In addition to live entertainment, the theater will have a film series about human rights.