Carmack, Carter Earn Academic Honors

By Brian E. Fallon, Crimson Staff Writer

Senior Scott Carmack and junior Nick Carter of the Harvard baseball team were named to the 2001 Verizon Academic All-District I Team yesterday.

The ten-player team was selected from the six New England states as well as New York. Carter and Carmack were two of six Ivy League players chosen.

Carter led the Crimson in nearly every major offensive category, including batting average (.380), homers (8), and slugging percentage (.633).

Carter, who has been Harvard’s starting third baseman for the past two years, also emerged as a pitcher this spring. He finished the year with eight strikeouts in 7.1 innings of relief work.

Carmack, a three-year starter in the Harvard outfield, was third on the club in hits (46) and second in stolen bases (6) this year. Since being named to the All-Regional Team in the NCAA Tournament as a sophomore, Carmack has fought through various injuries over the past two seasons. This spring, he missed Harvard’s final two games of the year because of a fractured right hand.

The Crimson (18-26, 11-9 Ivy) finished the 2001 season one game in back of first place in the Red Rolfe Division.