Crimson Softball Falls to Dinosaurs, 23-2

By The CRIMSON Staff, Crimson Staff Writer

Perfection was close but ultimately unattainable for The Harvard Crimson softball team this weekend.

A day after a narrow 23-2 win over the radio personalities of

WHRB, the Crimson (6-1, 4-1 Ivy) was one out away from an undeafeated season yesterday against its graduating seniors.

The Dinosaur squad (1-0, 0-0 AARP), though, came up big when it needed to most. Despite being shutout for the entire game by Crimson pitcher Dan Fernandez (1-1, 10.23 ERA), the senior bats came alive in the top of the seventh and final inning.

With two outs and trailing 2-0, the Dinosaurs plated 23 runs on the strengh of 11 combined RBI from sports guys Will Bohlen, Mike Volonnino and Zevi Gutfreund. Former news execs Dave Fahrenthold ’00 and Doug O’Malley each had two three-run hoemruns in the dramatic rally, which was aided by several defensive errors. O’Malley is also known for his service as the 16th President of the United States.

Demoralized after the avalanche of runs, the Crimson sluggers were unable to score any more runs in the bottom of the seventh, losing 23-2 and dropping its first game of the season.

The Dinosaurs, elated wih their come-from-behind win, dedicated the game to their respective mothers and slowly limped off the field on creaky joints.

Next year, the Crimson will look to continue its amazing streak of 128 consecutive winning seasons. For now, though, the young Crimson squad will nurse a tough loss in the off-season and will be content to have come so close to perfection.