Rally Promotes Peace Despite Terror Attacks

More than 500 people gathered yesterday on the steps of Widener Library to show support for the new founded Harvard Initiative for Peace and Justice.
By George Bradt, Crimson Staff Writer

About 500 students gathered outside Widener Library yesterday at noon to call for a peaceful response to last week’s terrorist attacks.

The demonstration was organized by the Harvard Initiative for Peace and Justice (HIPJ), a student group founded this week as part of actions being taken across the country to promote peace.

More than 100 colleges had planned events for yesterday, including MIT and Boston College.

HIPJ organized the rally—featuring eight speakers—to convey its message affirming the sanctity of human life, condemning racism, encouraging the protection of civil liberties, and promoting dialogue to find alternatives to war.

“The United States should think much harder and deeper about the nature of this historical moment before it hastily commits to an ill-conceived war,” Timothy P. McCarthy ’93, lecturer in history and literature, told the crowd.

Alisa Khan ’05 then pointed out the inconsistencies of Islam and terrorism, and called on America to “rebuild and restore rather than demolish and destroy.”

The rally began with a moment of silence introduced by Brian C.W. Palmer ’86, lecturer on the study of religion, and Stephen N. Smith ’02, a member of HIPJ, served as the master of ceremonies.

During the rally, organizers circulated amongst the crowd passing out green ribbons in support of peace.

Edward B. Childs, Adams House chef and chief shop steward of Harvard Local 26, described war as disadvantageous to workers.

“When big business gets together with the White House, workers and the union are victimized,” he said.

He also restated the union’s stance against racism.

“Any racism whatsoever, our union will defend the victims,” he said.

Reactions among Harvard students and staff to the rally and its aims were mixed.

Ayirini M. Fonseca-Sabune ’04 said she agreed wtih the demonstration’s message.

“I’m very concerned about the direction politicians and the media seem to be going in terms of military retaliation,” she said. “I hope that this rally and others like it around the country will make people be more thoughtful of the reprecussions of our actions.”

But Harvard employee Joe Lourenco said he felt force was an appropriate response to the terrorist atacks.

“They killed enough of our civilians—We should end the terrorism now because if [we] don’t it could go on forever,” he said.

Many Harvard students chose not to attend the rally because they disagreed with its message.

Aleia J. Crum ’05 described war as “part of a natural process.”

“In a time of crisis, even though it’s painful to see innocent people dying, you have to see the big picture and we have to put a foot down for what we believe,” she said.

HIPJ organizer David Jenkins ’03 said he was “very pleased” with the rally’s turnout.

“I thought the speakers characterized the points of the rally well and definitely spoke eloquently,” he said.

“It’s OK to be scared, it’s even OK to be angry, but it’s not OK to lash out violently as a result of those emotions, it’s not OK to target groups of people, it’s not OK to accept ‘collateral damage’ of the lives of innocent people for a retaliation against terrorism,” he said.

In addition to yesterday afternoon’s rally in the Yard, another demonstration for peace took place last night that drew hundreds of community members to Harvard Square.