Giuliani Stirs Hearts

New York's mayor shows new courage in light of tragedy, leaves legacy for successors

By The CRIMSON Staff

In the wake of the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center, much praise has been rightfully given to the dedicated public servants of New York City. Their resolve and courage has been typified by their leader, Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani. There is obviously no protocol for how to act after such a shocking and unexpected disaster. Yet, Giuliani has never looked lost or muddled, inept or overwhelmed. He has led by example—speaking in an eloquent but measured way during the day, lending his hands to the rescue operations downtown at night.

In his speeches and his somber demeanor, the mayor has symbolized the grief and anger of the citizens of New York. Yet he has also shown their grit and resolve. He spoke yesterday of the need to rebuild the famed downtown skyline, assuring both New Yorkers and all Americans that terrorists cannot break the spirit of the world’s greatest city. Scores of politicians from both parties have heaped myriad praises on Giuliani. The Crimson would like to add its voice to these countless others and congratulate the mayor on his inspirational leadership.

It is a great shame that Giuliani will not have a chance to hold office into 2002. Since New York State has recently imposed term limits on all of its elected officials, a new mayor will take office on Jan. 1. While we believe that terrorists should never be able to disrupt the smooth functioning of American democracy, we sincerely regret that Giuliani will not have the chance to serve his constituents in a continuing time of crisis.

Making an exception from the election laws for New York’s mayor would go against America’s democratic tradition. But his example, and the need for continuity that New York currently displays, demonstrates how term limits remove flexibility and choice from our elective process. There is little to fear in allowing city voters to elect the mayor of their choice.

We hope that state governments are moved by this example to remove limits on voters’ choice. In the meantime, we wish the best of luck to New York’s next mayor, whoever he may be. He will have mighty shoes to fill.