Just Short of a Medal

Olympic meal demonstrates that HUDS should concentrate on festive food, not decorations

By The CRIMSON Staff

Harvard University Dining Services (HUDS) serves up far more than the breakfast of champions—it also serves students lunch, dinner and a late-night snack. But unfortunately, last Thursday’s Olympic meal didn’t set any records for quality. Although well-intentioned, HUDS’ “Olympiad” festive meal placed far too much emphasis on festivity and sacrificed what should be the center of the experience: the food.

With themes like “New England Clambake” and “Il Mezzorgiorno: A Visit to Southern Italy,” HUDS’ six annual festive meals are supposed to provide undergraduates a respite from typical cafeteria fare—while demonstrating “the staff’s culinary talents and sense of fun,” according to the HUDS website. As last Thursday demonstrated, however, the meals often exhibit the staff’s decorating talents rather than their culinary ones.

Cardboard snowflakes three feet in diameter dangled from dining hall chandeliers at the “Olympiad.” The flags of many nations hung from walls or sprang from centerpieces; bright cloth napkins bedecked the tables. The theme from “Chariots of Fire,” as well as other vaguely martial music, rang from speakers. With cryptic symbolism, a smoke machine belched beside the Annenberg card swiper’s desk. Some dining hall workers were festively clad in funny hats.

Despite these outward signs of festivity, the “Olympic” food bore a suspicious resemblance to regularly served fare. In fact, with the exception of white and dark chocolate fondue and bread bowls for the stew that was served, Olympic dishes were indistinguishable from their less-festive counterparts.

Last Thursday’s decorations were obviously Olympic-themed, but decoration is not one of HUDS’ strong suits. HUDS should pick festive meal themes that will inspire not only the Martha Stewarts among their staff, but also the Emerils. Festive meals should be more about dining than decor. Also, with the possible exception of Chiquita Banana’s headdress, humorous headwear should have no place in the dining experience.

Rather than devoting its resources to garish decorations or demeaning costumes, HUDS should direct its efforts towards improving the food for both festive and non-festive meals.