A Partial Victory on Keycards

Council lobbying brings 2:30 a.m. extension of access; 24-hour policy should follow

By The CRIMSON Staff

Last week, Harvard’s House Masters voted to extend the hours of universal keycard access, allowing undergraduates to enter all Houses until 2:30 a.m. Their decision, which will be implemented on a trial basis next semester, is good news for undergraduates. The 2:30 a.m. limit is more reasonable for student schedules than the previous 1 a.m. deadline, given that many of the Square’s eateries close at 2 a.m. and that House-sponsored parties also last until 2. The Masters’ decision is a positive step towards full 24-hour keycard access, and will bring greater convenience and security for undergraduates.

We applaud the efforts of the Undergraduate Council, which was the main force lobbying for the extension. Throughout the past year, the council has effectively worked with the administration to implement measures serving students’ needs. Later keycard access—especially in the face of strong opposition among House Masters—is a significant achievement for the council and one that will directly improve the lives of undergraduates.

We hope and anticipate that this extension will serve as a prelude to full 24-hour keycard access. Starting next term, students will only be locked out of the Houses from 2:30 a.m. until 8 a.m. Though these five and a half hours are arguably the least active hours in each student’s day, they are also hours during which students walking outside are least safe. Preventing most undergraduates from entering the Houses during this short period of time each night serves little purpose. The extended hours will demonstrate that students would be best served with 24-hour access.

Yet the trial’s success will depend on the actions of students. Many opponents of universal access still fear loss of House community, increased theft and potential vandalism if students are allowed into other Houses at night. The trial hours may be revoked if any of these fears are realized. We urge all undergraduates to use the new hours wisely, so that keycard access can be extended throughout the day.