Pudding Taps Willis, Parker for Roast

Renovations on Pudding building delayed, slated to begin spring 2003

By Anne K. Kofol, Crimson Staff Writer

The Hasty Pudding Theatricals has selected Bruce Willis and Sarah Jessica Parker to receive its annual Man and Woman of the Year awards, the group announced Monday.

The arrival of Parker and Willis will kick-off the run of the Theatricals’ 154th original musical,“Snow Place Like Home,” originally slated to be the last production in the historic 125 year-old Pudding building before renovations began this spring.

But that construction has now been delayed, according to Associate Dean of the College David P. Illingworth ’71—the project's second delay since the College purchased the building in 2000.

"After a year of meeting with architects and structural engineers, we determined the project will be much larger than anyone thought," Illingworth said. "In order to do it right, we decided we have to delay."

Illingworth said he now estimates the cost of construction at $15 to $20 million, a significant increase from the original $10 million estimate.

The construction will turn the building into a state-of-the-art theater and space for student groups.

The student groups that currently use the building, including the Theatricals, the Hasty Pudding Social Club, the Harvard Krokodiloes and the Radcliffe Pitches, will be able to remain in the building for another year as a result of the delay.

Illingworth said that despite the building's dilapidated condition, the theater and basement are still safe for use.

Gregory C. Padgett ’02, president of the Pudding Theatricals, said that while he is glad the Pudding will get to perform another show in the theater, he is excited for the renovations to begin.

"We look forward to seeing this thing through to its completion," Padgett said.

The Die Hard Duo

The Golden Globe-winning star of “Sex and the City” and the actor of “Die Hard” fame will travel to Cambridge this February to accept their “pudding pots” and to be “roasted” by the theatrical group.

The Pudding honors two actors every year for their “lasting and impressive contribution to the world of entertainment” with the good-natured roast, presentation of the pudding pot, and special performances of the Hasty Pudding Theatricals’ original show.

Parker will begin the Pudding festivities with a parade in her honor on Mass. Ave. at 1:30 p.m. on Feb. 7. Fourteen members of the all-male theatrical troupe, dressed flamboyantly in drag, will escort the actress along the parade route to the Pudding Theater on Holyoke Street where she will be treated to a preview of the new play.

Willis will receive his trophy at the Man of the Year ceremony on Feb. 14 when the Pudding will officially premiere “Snow Place Like Home.”

Pudding spokesperson Joanna S.B. O’Leary ’03 said the theatrical group chose Parker and Willis because “they epitomized two very seasoned actors.”

Parker began her career in the entertainment business as a child actress in Broadway productions such as The Innocents and Annie. Since then she has built a successful film and television career, starring in movies like “Miami Rhapsody” and “State and Main.” She has recently garnered critical acclaim for her portrayal of “Carrie Bradshaw” on the hit television show “Sex and the City,” winning three “Best Actress” Golden Globes in a row.

Willis also got his first big break on the stage, as the lead in the 1984 off-Broadway hit, “Fool for Love.” He went on to star in the television series “Moonlighting,” winning a Golden Globe Award and an Emmy Award for his part. He is best known for his prolific movie career, with credits including the action movie trilogy “Die Hard,” “Pulp Fiction,” and “Armegeddon.” He recently gained recognition as a dramatic actor in the 1999 critical and commercial success, “The Sixth Sense.”

Aside from the public festivities, the cast and crew of the Pudding will have a chance to talk with Parker and Willis informally about their careers and ask questions about the entertainment industry.

The Pudding established the Woman of the Year award in 1951 and the Man of the Year award in 1963. Drew Barrymore and Anthony Hopkins were last year’s recipients.

—Staff writer Anne K. Kofol can be reached at kofol@fas.harvard.edu.