Undergraduate Council Ends Term

Final Goodbyes: Former Undergraduate Council President Paul A. Gusmorino ’02 bid the council a tearful farewell last night
By William M. Rasmussen, Crimson Staff Writer

A tearful Paul A. Gusmorino ’02 bid goodbye to the Undergraduate Council last night, ending his one-year reign as one of the most powerful presidents in the student government’s 20-year history.

His voice breaking at times, Gusmorino passed his gavel on to his vice president Sujean S. Lee ’03 and her running mate, Anne M. Fernandez ’03, who vowed during their campaign to continue Gusmorino’s tradition of focusing on student services.

Gusmorino’s whirlwind year at the helm of the council accomplished all of the services he promised during his campaign—with the recent extension of party hours capping his tenure.

“You left me very, very big orange shoes to fill,” Lee said to Gusmorino last night, referring to the goofy-looking shoes Gusmorino has become known for wearing around campus.

Gusmorino’s mother and sister looked on as council members lauded the council’s long list of accomplishments, including awarding the Marquand Prize for advising and launching the student events fund, which gives free tickets to campus events for students on financial aid.

But perhaps most important is the change in attitude Gusmorino has instilled in the council, which has traditionally been known as a group characterized by internal strife and division but little power to influence campus issues.

“When Sujean and I decided to run last fall the UC was facing some difficult times. Council morale was low and we were having difficulty keeping people on the UC. We were strapped for cash and we had to reduce funding for student groups. There was a lot of internal strife and frustration,” Gusmorino said in his address.

In his farewell remarks, Gusmorino referred to a letter a student had written to The Crimson a year ago charging that coverage of the body should be curtailed because it was“powerless” and council members were “windbags.”

A council resolution from a few years ago that condemned human rights abuses in Burma, Gusmorino said, typifies the council’s past ineffectual action.

Gusmorino, however, has instead encouragedmembers this year to propose concrete solutions to problems—outlined in formal proposals—rather than merely complaining about problems.

“We’ve said, ‘This is a hard problem. Let’s try to come up with a thoughtful solution,’” Gusmorino said.

Utilizing the extensive network of administrators he had established relationships with during his four years on council, Gusmorino quietly worked with his close associates to enact change.

“Masters and administrators would never reject his proposals because they trust his opinions so much,” said Student Affairs Committee Chair Rohit Chopra ’04.

In addition to urging council members to continue to minimize debate on proposals which do not tangibly impact campus life, Gusmorino outlined other goals for the future.

He urged council members to continue to work to open relationships with the administration and with other students, as well as maintain unity on the council.

Gusmorino said inviting deans to council meetings and initiating “UC Announce,” an e-mail list which informs subscribed students of campus events, are important keys to the movement towards greater openness.

Both before and after Gusmorino’s speech, for which he received a prolonged standing ovation, council members thanked each other and outgoing seniors for the accomplishments of the semester.

Committee chairs—amidst much gushing praise—handed out candy, awards and other gifts to their underlings.

Campus Life Committee Chair Robert M. Gee ’02 gave his co-chair, Melissa A. Eccleston ’04, a gigantic stuffed gorilla.

But the gratitude was mostly directed towards Gusmorino, who closed out his term with what many council members said is the unanimous support and approval of the council.

“Paul, you’ve become a part of Harvard history,” Lee said in her remarks before taking the oath of office.

—Staff writer William M. Rasmussen can be reached at wrasmuss@fas.harvard.edu.