Focus

What the 'H' Stands For

By Olamipe I. Okunseinde, Crimson Staff Writer

The “H” doesn’t stand for “Harlem.” In case you haven’t noticed, there aren’t very many blacks here at Harvard. In fact, unless your name is Kenan Professor of Government Harvey C. Mansfield ’53, you might go so far as to say that there are far too few of them attending our fine institution. For this reason, it seems a pity when even one is lost, but a whole department’s worth of them leaving would be nothing short of catastrophic. According to recent printed reports, Harvard faces just this possibility. Apparently, University President Lawrence H. Summers and the Department of Afro-American Studies are at such odds, politically, academically and ideologically, that some of the leading professors in the department are seriously considering job offers from top universities nationwide. How could anyone let this happen?

The “H” doesn’t stand for “harried,” but the current relationship between Summers and the department does seem to be plagued with problems. Some of the discord comes from Summers’ stance on diversity and affirmative action, the release of a “rap” CD by Fletcher University Professor Cornel R. West ’74, West’s affiliation with the Rev. Al Sharpton’s presidential run, grade inflation in West’s course Afro-American Studies 10: “Introduction to African-American Studies” and the nonacademic nature of books published by members of the Afro-American studies department.

Let’s address the trivial issues first. Grade inflation is a problem throughout the College, so it seems rather unfair to single out one course. Since “all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy,” and West is far from a dull man, it would make sense that not all his ventures, such as the infamous CD, are going to be of a no-nonsense nature. Though West’s support of the Rev. Al Sharpton’s presidential campaign may understandably face debate or criticism, as citizens of a democratic nation, we ought not tolerate a rebuke of his political stance. Finally, to be angry over a professor publishing a work which, the Boston Globe paraphrased Summers as saying, “is more likely to be reviewed in The New York Times than in academic journals,” seems analogous to getting put out when you see your professor in the grocery store or some other setting outside the classroom. As a liberal University, we should take pride that our professors’ talents are so multifaceted.

The main contention seems to be: Just what is Summers’ position on diversity? The “H” doesn’t stand for “hesitant.” Yet, that was what our academic community became when we learned of the selection of Summers to be our next president. We were unsure of whether he could embrace any color besides green. Perhaps former President Neil L. Rudenstine spoiled us in the way he spoke out for diversity. As president, he not only celebrated diversity, but found a way to work the necessity of diversity into every conversation, speech and writing he undertook. It might be too early to state just where Summers stands on the issue of diversity, but the rumors are making us non-majorities a bit nervous. We are especially nervous when we consider that Americans in general are becoming hesitant over diversity, particularly those pro-isolationists among us who remember days of old when, although we were xenophobic, American soil was viewed as nothing short of sacred, impervious and the last bastion of freedom and safety. If we go back to those beliefs, what are the costs? Foregoing diversity is a scary thought. However, there seems to be a pot of gold for all the embracers of the rainbow. Summers has finally and publicly come out for diversity. A recent statement to The Crimson has Summers quoted as not only taking pride in the diversity of our University, but also promising a renewed commitment to the mission of diversification.

Is this rhetoric too little, too late? The “H” doesn’t stand for hindsight, but at least Princeton now sees how imprudent it was to let West leave and come to our school just a few years ago. Now, Princeton is leading the charge to capture one of our many flags of superiority. Let us not allow ourselves to be placed in Princeton’s position, pathetically chasing after a treasure it did not realize it had until West was gone. Let us do everything in our power to keep our fine professors, thus showing that we have learned from Princeton’s mistake. What can be done to prevent a black exodus? Given the recent progress that has been made on this issue, it seems that not much work is needed to maintain the amicable relationship necessary for the two parties to coexist.

The “H” doesn’t stand for “hopeless.” The situation with the professors of the Afro-American studies department can still be rectified. Ours is a community that prides itself on its “liberal” views and multiple avenues for dialogue. Let us practice what we preach. We entreat both parties to continue working to close what is now known simply as “the rift.”

The “H” stands for “Harvard,” a University used to having the best, not losing the best.

Olamipe I. Okunseinde ’04 is a psychology concentrator in Eliot House. He is the publicity chair of the Black Students Association.

Focus