Crusaders Score Harvard's Game-Winner

By Anastasios G. Skalkos, Contributing Writer

The last two opponents of the Harvard men’s soccer team have provided half of the Crimson’s offense in each game. Harvard capitalized on a late own-goal by a Holy Cross defender yesterday to pull out its second dramatic 2-1 win in as many games.

The big road victory over the No. 24-ranked Crusaders (8-2-1, 4-1 Patriot) will push the Crimson (7-3-1, 1-0-1 Ivy) up in the regional rankings and hopefully provide momentum for difficult upcoming Ivy League games.

“We played really well as a team today,” sophomore goalkeeper James Roth said. “I couldn’t be happier with the way the defense played. They were effective at limiting the other team’s chances and they made my job a lot easier.”

Junior defender John Napper initiated the game-winning goal in the 83rd minute when he blasted a driven ball from midfield. The ball deflected off a defender’s head into the Holy Cross goal to put Harvard up 2-1.

Senior captain Michael Cornish opened up the scoring in the 52nd minute when he bent a free kick around a six-man wall and into the corner of the Crusader goal.

“I just picked my spot and curled it in,” Cornish said.

Cornish also came up with the defensive play of the game when he sacrificed his body to clear a sure goal off of the Crimson goal line, preserving the 1-1 score with 10 minutes left. The play forced Cornish out of the game with an injury.

The Harvard defense was tested all afternoon by senior striker Matt Ney, who ranks No. 20 in the nation in goals per game.

Some well played balls by the Crusader midfielders allowed Ney to use his speed and break in alone on Roth on several occasions. But Roth was up to the task as he made huge saves to ensure the win.

“I made the plays that I had to make,” Roth said. “Our defense did the rest. Some unlucky bounces led to some chances but I really didn’t have to do too much.”

The Crusaders knotted the game at 1-1 in the 75th minute when junior Michael Crean finished off the rebound from a Ney blast.

Crimson coach John Kerr designated sophomore defender Jason Andersen to mark Ney in the final minutes of the game. Andersen was able to keep Ney in check and help give Harvard a chance to win.

“[Ney] was quick,” Andersen said. “He was obviously their offensive threat all game. Our defense really played well as a unit today. We were able to shut down a solid team.”

The Crimson will try to continue its solid play when it faces Yale at home next Saturday.