John Harvard Statue Vandalized

By Faryl Ury, Contributing Writer

If John Harvard’s eyes were not made of bronze, he would have had some trouble seeing early yesterday morning with white tape covereing his eyes.

A cross-eyed John Harvard greeted surprised tourists and giggling students who passed by the statue.

Harvard Yard Operations removed the tape and does not plan to pursue any sort of investigation as no permanent damage was done to the statue.

“I think it’s creative but I wish students would direct their creative energies elsewhere,” said Zachary Gingo, manager of administrative operations for physical resources.

The bronze statue that stands in front of University Hall was unveiled for the University’s 250th birthday in 1885, according to the Crimson Key Society.

The John Harvard statue is often a stop for visitors to the College, who rub its foot for good luck and snap photos of Harvard’s namesake.

Tourists said they were not phased by the prank.

“It was done with tape so it wouldn’t be destructive,” said Peggy Bainbridge, a tourist from Philadelphia, PA. “It was fun. That’s fine.”

Students also said they were amused.

“I enjoy seeing the differences each day of how John Harvard is presented,” Jeffrey A. Barnet ’06 said.

The John Harvard statue is often a target for pranksters.

An orange construction cone was removed from John Harvard’s head this summer, right before first-years moved, Gingo said.

Last November, a “Y” was chalked on the statue during the weekend of the Harvard-Yale football game. Shaving cream, dirty rags and a Dartmouth hat have also graced the statue in the past few years.

A store in Harvard Square faced more serious vandalism Monday night as well.

The Andover Shop on Holyoke Street had its windows vandalized. Though no windows broke, the glass shattered. Nothing was stolen from the store and a police report was filed yesterday.