The Goal Scorriero

Sophomore Looks to Surpass Dazzling Debut Year

By David Weinfeld, Crimson Staff Writer

Call her Nicole “The Goal.”

Harvard sophomore Nicole Corriero certainly showed a knack for the net in 2001-02, potting 32 goals, second-most in the league and best among freshmen, in a splendid rookie campaign. She also added 30 assists on the year, leading rookies in that category as well.

Throughout the season, Corriero’s quick hands, ability to stay on the puck and fancy moves were on display.

“She just knows how to put the puck in the net,” said tri-captain Kalen Ingram. “She’s the type of player that makes anyone look good.”

Corriero and Ingram formed the Crimson’s most productive tandem on the first line last season. This year, with the addition of Olympians Julie Chu and Jennifer Botterill, Corriero’s line becomes the second of four instead of the first of three, taking some pressure of the sophomore’s shoulders. Also, junior winger Lauren McAuliffe seems headed for a more permanent role alongside Ingram and Corriero, ensuring that the line will remain extremely potent.

Harvard coach Katey Stone may experiment with the lines later on. But for now, she is keeping the Corriero-Ingram duo intact.

“[Kalen] and Nicole were tremendous last year. How do you take that away?” Stone said.

On the power play, Corriero will really get the chance to shine. Last year, she often played the point on the man-advantage, utilizing her powerful, accurate wrist shots. She helped give the Crimson the top power-play unit in the country.

Corriero’s talent has been fine-tuned with years of hard work. She hardly ever takes a break from the weight room and works tirelessly on her skating.

Sophomore defender Ashley Banfield, who has played with Corriero since the two were nine years old, recalls that Corriero was always a skilled player.

“She was always one of the best on every team that we played on,” Banfield said. “But we could never have predicted that we’d be here [together at Harvard].”

Despite her successes , Corriero never envisioned herself at Harvard, either.

“When I was really young, I wanted to play on the national team, but I never understood that [playing at a] university was open to me,” Corriero said. “It wasn’t until I was approached by universities that I realized this opportunity was there. I guess I was a little naive in that sense.”

Having outgrown that naivete, Corriero cherishes the opportunity to play with Olympians Botterill, Chu and Angela Ruggiero.

“It’s incredible to be on the same team as them,” Corriero said. “Outside of hockey, just hanging around with them is amazing.”

Corriero’s breakout rookie year was equally amazing. Corriero scored for the very first time in only her second game, and then emerged forcefully with four goals against Vermont last November. That explosion set the tone for her ECAC Rookie of the Year campaign.

But that performance is behind her now and the pressure is on Corriero to remain at that level.

“Nicole Corriero’s expectations are higher this year,” Stone said. “She was a freshman [last year] and she just did her own thing. [Normally] we try to give them a year to get settled and figure things out. Our expectations will be, we want her to score as many goals[as possible].

“If she’s still doing what she did [last year], and we’ve got these other kids doing their thing as well, we’re going to be in really good shape.”

—Staff writer David A. Weinfeld can be reached at weinfeld@fas.harvard.edu.