Field Hockey Earns Surprise Tourney Bid

By Wes Kauble, Contributing Writer

A raucous roar resonated through the walls of the Murr Center last night. The cause? Not the usual intense squash match. Rather, the Harvard field hockey team had finally realized its season-long goal—a berth in the NCAA tournament.

As the noise settled down in the room, everyone was well-aware that the No. 14 Crimson (12-5, 6-1 Ivy) would be facing No. 3 Michigan St. (21-2) in the first round Saturday, but the high-decibel cheers had kept anyone from hearing where Harvard would be playing.

Team members, immediately sharing their excitement with families via cellular phone, sought out their tournament destination. Then the most suprising announcement of the day.

Word broke from junior forward Mina Pell that Harvard in fact would not be traveling this weekend, as the NCAA had chosen Jordan Field, the home of Harvard field hockey, as a host site for the first two rounds.

“We have one of the best field hockey venues in the country and we’re excited that we get to show it off,” said an equally surprised Harvard coach Sue Caples.

Harvard and Michigan St. will be joined by a pair of Huskies in their bracket as No. 8 Northeastern and No. 15 Connecticut square off in the other first round match on Saturday. If Harvard passes its first test against the Spartans, it will meet the Northeastern-UConn winner on Sunday with a berth at stake for the 2002 Final Four in Lousiville, Ky.

The team did not know exactly what to expect while awaiting the announcement of the tournament field. Having lost to Princeton in Ivy competition, the Crimson did not garner the league’s automatic bid. With only eight at-large berths available, Harvard was definitely a team “on the bubble.” However, all five of the Crimson’s losses came to ranked opponents, and the final poll of the National Field Hockey Coaches Association slated Harvard at No. 14, so the team knew it had a chance.

“We did not know if we were going to make it, and then to be hosting—it definitely gives us an advantage, so we could not be more excited,” said captain Katie Scott.

When all was said and done, the Crimson did secure its second at-large berth in the past three years.

In the team’s last appearance—its first in nine years—Harvard fell to Wake Forest, 6-3, in the opening round. This year’s team, however, has experience to build upon.

“We’re very honored to represent the Ivy League and be in the tournament as an at-large team. I don’t think we’ve played our best hockey yet,” Caples said. “We had a great run at the end of our season, and this tournament is certainly about confidence and believing.”

With a three-game winning streak to end the season—including an 8-0 demolition of Columbia last Saturday—the Crimson certainly has reasons to believe it can do well.