Renumerated & Rejuvenated: Palazzo Ready For One

By Lisa Kennelly, Contributing Writer

To think that all this time, Nick Palazzo just wasn’t comfortable.

Sure, he led last year’s Ivy title-winning squad in both rushing and scoring.

And sure, over the past four years he has become an emotional leader for the Crimson.

But Palazzo has accomplished all this despite one constant, disconcerting nuisance—the wrong uniform number.

“I always was No. 22, ever since I started playing football when I was 11 years old,” Palazzo says.

But when the short, stocky Ohio native first suited up at Harvard four years ago, his familiar No. 22 had become No. 44.

“Actually it was weird, because it was my best friend’s number when we were in high school,” Palazzo says.

While Palazzo was happy to honor his old teammate, it just wasn’t the same.

But now, in the last season of his up-and-down Harvard career as a top running back, he has finally been able to wear his numeral of choice.

“I just think it helps me to play my best,” he says.

However, while it is typical of Palazzo‘s attitude to work on his game from all possible angles, in this case he had an ulterior motive—the jersey itself.

“The person that wore [No. 44] before me was a linebacker and he was like 240 pounds. When I put it on it was just like a dress,” Palazzo says.

Whatever Palazzo’s reason for the costume change, opponents and teammates alike would be astonished by any claim of discomfort.

In the Crimson’s undefeated 2001 season, Palazzo garnered 564 yards rushing and seven touchdowns, even though he missed three games with an injury.

Palazzo began this season as the Crimson’s lone featured back after sharing time with Matt Leiszler ’03 and Josh Staph ’02 during the past two seasons.

Palazzo has adjusted well, amassing 389 yards rushing with eight TDs in only seven games.

But unfortunately, Palazzo considers this season one of the most frustrating of his career as he has missed two games with nagging injuries.

“It’s your senior year,” says Palazzo. “You really don’t want to be watching from the sidelines.”

“It’s killing him,” says Harvard coach Tim Murphy of the time Palazzo has missed. “The kid lives to play.”

Palazzo’s attitude has made his off-field contributions just as important as those he has made during a game.

For example, while captain Neil Rose was in Hawaii last spring, Palazzo helped maintain the team’s focus during spring practice.

“He leads by example,” says senior offensive lineman Jamil Soriano. “When we’re on that [practice] field, he gets us pumped up to play.”

Freshman running back Ryan Tyler, one of several players to follow in Palazzo’s agile footsteps, had the opportunity to talk with Palazzo on his recruiting trip.

Now, Tyler can appreciate Palazzo’s role as a teammate.

“He gives some of the most inspirational speeches I’ve ever heard,” Tyler says. “Guys like him are what make Harvard football what it is.”

With praise coming from all classes, it’s easy to see why Palazzo is considered one of the most well-respected Harvard players.

“He’s probably one of the more popular guys on the team,” Soriano says. “He goes out of his way to say hello.”

One characteristic of Palazzo’s good nature is his respect for the Harvard offensive line. He always credits them for providing the rushing opportunities that have allowed him to compile top scoring statistics.

Palazzo’s appreciation of the game is a testament to his rich history with football. Ask him about his native Ohio, where football is practically an established religion, and he catches fire.

“In Ohio, football is something special,” Palazzo says, excited. “Everyone that’s there understands. People that don’t grow up or live there don’t quite understand how important it is.”

Palazzo has remained a supporter of his high school team, often helping out during the summers by teaching from his own college experience. Though unsure of his post-college plans—which may include launching a sports magazine he has in the works with some old teammates—he has expressed interest in potentially coaching at either the high school or college level.

In last year’s Yale game, a 35-23 Harvard triumph, Palazzo was stuck on the bench with an ankle injury. Now with friends, family, and past coaches arriving for Saturday’s game, Palazzo is hoping to pull out some of the old lightning for their benefit and contribute to a Crimson victory.

In this last opportunity to see his familiar figure dicing defenses right and left, a healthier Palazzo knows he can contribute—regardless of what number appears on his uniform.