Cacace at the Bat: Praising Student-Athletes

By Robert A. Cacace, Crimson Staff Writer

I woke up at 7:30 a.m. on Monday to meet some friends to go clothes shopping. It was cold, I was sleep-deprived and I did not want to be up at 7:30 a.m. shopping for clothes.

Later that day, I went to work, polished up a thesis presentation, delivered that presentation, grabbed dinner, took another work shift, read for a bit and then met some friends for drinks.

I slept till 11 a.m. yesterday to recover from the day before.

Two things became clear. One, I have the energy level of most, if not all, of the Golden Girls (with the probable exception being Estelle Getty), and two, I could never be an athlete at Harvard.

When I told my sob story to a friend on the rowing team, he smiled and said, “Welcome to my spring.”

Varsity athletes—and many junior varsity and club athletes—keep a schedule far more hectic than my busy Monday. I cannot understand how they juggle practice, road games, labs, problem sets, papers, friends and other outside commitments without going insane.

Yet, I think it’s fair to say that a large number of their classmates belittle them as marginal students at best.

The perception that athletes contribute nothing to section or have no academic interests has been endorsed by many. Some rightly claim that a significant number of non-athletes have extraordinary time commitments in varied extracurricular activities. Many also question the importance of athletics in building an intellectual community.

So I want to let the ten Crimson seniors selected as members of the Academic All-Ivy team have a word. For their hard work in a Harvard jersey, dedication to their sport and ability to balance classes and athletics at such a high level, they have my deepest congratulations. I think they deserve yours.

Istvan Zollei has found a “family away from home” in the Harvard water polo team. The economics concentrator from Hungary has distinguished himself in and out of the pool. He is a four-year starter and three-time all-conference nominee for the Crimson. After raving about the team and its recent improvement, Zollei also mentioned that he was a member of the Phi Beta Kappa junior 24. He’s pursuing a career in finance after graduation.

Harvard running back Nick Palazzo has earned ink on this page for his gritty play on the field, but he’s equally talented in the classroom. The economics concentrator, who will always fondly remember beating Penn for the Ivy title last year and beating Yale this year to end his career, will also carry lessons learned in Ec 1600, his favorite class here.

Two-sport standout Bryce Weed may well appear on this list again come spring. Nominated for her performance on the soccer field, Weed is also a member of the indoor/outdoor track and field teams. After finishing up her Psychology requirements, she hopes to pursue a career in medicine.

The women’s field hockey team made the NCAA tournament this season and Katie Scott was awarded Academic All-American. The anthropology concentrator (she recommends the “Behavioral Biology of Woman”) hopes to become a member of the media after graduation.

Not many in the lab are faster than runner Claire Nicholas. The cross-country and track star is looking forward to medical school and then a career as a neurologist.

Clay Bischoff, a national champion sailor and co-captain of the Harvard squad, also excels in economics. Bischoff aspires to be the General Manager or President of a pro team.

Cross-country runner Matt Seidel is writing his English and French thesis on the letters of Samuel Beckett. Seidel won the Ivy title in the outdoor 10,000-meter, and will travel to France next year.

On the volleyball court, Mindy Jellin has been setting up her teammates since she was named Ivy League Rookie of the Year in 1999. Graduating with a degree in psychology, Jellin has no definite career plans yet. But wherever she goes, she’ll likely be a huge help—Jellin will graduate as second all-time in assists at Harvard.

Mike Lobach has been a linchpin for the Crimson soccer team for four years. As a sweeper, he has stifled opposing defenses and was named second team NCSAA All-New England for his efforts.

The grace under pressure that forward Beth Totman showed on the soccer field will come in handy should the social anthropology major became a foreign correspondent for CNN. Scoring goals in overtime wins over Yale, Hartford and Boston College, the second-team All Ivy selection has solidified her legacy as a clutch performer. Totman will pursue a masters in East Asian studies next year.

They don’t do it because they have to and certainly not because they receive tangible benefits for it. Harvard student-athletes sacrifice and compete because it’s something they truly care about. And for this passion alone they are an important part of our community.

-Staff writer Robert A. Cacace can be reached at cacace@fas.harvard.edu.