Letters

No Love Would Be Lost Returning Lowell Bells

Letters to the Editors

By Adrian D. Maldonado

To the editors:

While it is obvious that the Lowell House bells will not be taken down, I feel I should give an alternate opinion from that put forth on Friday’s editorial page (Editorial, “Our House, Our Bells,” Dec. 13).

As a resident of Old Quincy my sophomore year, I found that the only thing more annoying and shameful than the size of my walk-through was the sound of the atonal Lowell bells on Sunday afternoons, rudely awakening those around them. Those of us who, unlike the authors of last week’s editorial, have not had our judgement (and sense of tonality) clouded by House pride are not so easily persuaded to love such intrusive clanging on our day of rest. The fact that the authors’ argument started out on a solid, economic base and then moved on to a childish rebuttal on whether or not we actually can fly to Mars is proof of how patronizing the response to the unnamed Russians became. If it comes down to “how symbolic they may be,” I believe that the spiritual power of any saint outweighs the “charm and mystique” of that jarring symphony of clangs and clongs which weekly disturbs our hung-over Harvardian peace. Keep it to yourselves, Lowell House, for the rest of us do not share your opinion, or your taste in music.

Adrian D. Maldonado '04

Dec. 14, 2002

Letters