W. Swimming Changes Things Up, Cruises To Win

Sophomore diver ANNE OSMUN twists during a dive against Northeastern on Saturday.
By Jessica T. Lee, Crimson Staff Writer

After losing to a rested Penn squad last weekend, the Harvard women’s swimming and diving team needed a breather. Its 172-107 win over Northeastern was the perfect opportunity.

“We definitely had to turn the mentality of the team around after Penn and I think this was a good meet to do that—just let go and have fun,” said co-captain Jane Humphries.

The Crimson (5-1, 4-1 Ivy) provided a different sort of break for the Huskies (7-1), as the loss ended Northeastern’s 17-meet win streak, including the program’s first-ever undefeated season last year.

Harvard took advantage of the non-league meet by swimming team members who don’t usually travel and by mixing up its lineup, giving swimmers the chance to try their hand at different events.

“The coaches sort of put people in what they think might work well and consult each person individually,” said co-captain Rachael O’Beirne. “It’s really a good interaction between the coach and the swimmer to decide the lineup, while usually it’s just the coaches.”

Among those who successfully raced in unusual events were freshman Jane Evans, who placed first in the 100 fly, and junior Abbie Davies, who took third in the 500 free. Sophomore Emily Stapleton, normally seen in a backstroke event, took a stab at the 200 fly and impressed in second place.

“[The 200 fly] takes a lot of endurance and it would take a lot for someone to get up and do that randomly,” O’Beirne said.

Sophomore sprinter Molly Ward (50 free, 200 free) and freshmen Kim Ono (200 back), Kim Linsenmann (100 free) and Michelle Bright (100 back) also garnered first-place marks.

After a week of difficult practice, the meet was a welcome respite from the pressure surrounding swimmers’ regular events and provided a high note on which to leave for break.

“It definitely helps to do different events from your regular events so you get a mental break from the races that you’re usually supposed to swim,” O’Beirne said. “It helps you to see where you are in other races. It helps people to have more fun in a meet because they feel less pressure.”

—Staff writer Jessica T. Lee can be reached at lee45@fas.harvard.edu.

W. Swimming 172, Northeastern 107

(all distances in yards)

200 Freestyle Relay: 1. Harvard B 1:39.69 (Dewey, Linsenmann, Mulkey, Davies). 200 IM: 1. Stapleton 2:10.73, 2. O’Beirne 2:11.22. One-Meter Diving: 2. Paradise 279.52. 100 Butterfly: 1. Evans 56.95.

500 Freestyle: 1. Chang 5:02.97. 200 Breaststoke: Humphries 2:25.02. 200 Backstroke: 1. Ono 2:10.82, 2. Walter 2:11.21. 100 Freestyle: 1. Linsermann, 54:32. Three-Meter Diving: 2. Paradise 321.44. 50 Freestyle: 1. Ward 24.32. 200 Butterfly: 2. Stapleton 2:08.63. 100 Breaststroke: 1. De Benedetto 1:06.92. 100 Backstroke: 1. Bright 1:00.06, 2. Ono 1:01.17. 200 Freestyle: 1. Ward 1:56.86.