M. Hoops Overcomes Injury, Extends Streak

By Samuel C. Roddenberry, Crimson Staff Writer

Playing without its second-leading scorer and its top bench scorer, the Harvard men’s basketball team found timely offense and put together one of its most impressive defensive efforts in years.

The Crimson had to play without two of their top contributors. Senior Pat Harvey, last year’s leading scorer, was sidelined with tendonitis in his foot, and freshman Brian Cusworth had a sprained right elbow.

“Pat’s day-to-day,” said Harvard coach Frank Sullivan of his All-Ivy guard. “He can’t do damage to [the foot], but he hasn’t gotten better.”

Harvey injured himself in Harvard’s win over Lehigh 10 days ago. But even despite a hobbled Harvey, the Crimson has managed a four-game winning streak, Harvard’s longest since a six-game streak in 1999.

Like Harvard, Vermont was also stricken by the injury bug. The Catamounts were without their leading scorer, sophomore Taylor Coppenrath, who came into the game averaging 21.7 points per game.

“We caught Vermont with their hands behind their back, playing without Coppenrath,” Sullivan said.

Without Harvey, Sullivan turned to the sophomore combination of Jason Norman, who started at shooting guard, and Kevin Rogus. Norman has been a solid defensive player all year, while Rogus has become a legitimate outside threat.

With the game on the line, Sullivan constantly switched between Rogus and Norman. Rogus, who finished with nine points, entered during offensive situations, and Norman subbed in for defense. With 1:30 left and Vermont within nine at 62-53, Norman sealed the victory for the Crimson. The 6’3 guard blocked a Catamount shot and ran it back for an emphatic dunk.

Rogus also came up big, hitting 3-of-4 from behind the arc, and coming up with a block of his own.

Block Party

Perhaps the most impressive aspect of the Crimson’s game was its stunningly effective inside presence. Harvard blocked a school-record nine shots. The previous block record was eight, most recently Jan. 8, 2001 against New Hampshire.

“I think a lot of the blocks were position blocks,” said senior forward Sam Winter. “We rotated, and they didn’t expect us there.”

Winter led the way for the Crimson, blocking three shots, while Norman had two. Senior Brian Sigafoos, sophomores Graham Beatty and Rogus and freshman Micheal Beal had one apiece.

Blowing the Blowout

For the second home game in a row, Harvard had problems maintaining a lead.

The Crimson struggled at the line. Both Rogus and senior guard Elliott Prasse-Freeman missed the front end of one-and-ones, limiting Harvard’s chances from the stripe. The Crimson hit only five of its last eight free throws in the final 1:13, allowing Vermont to close within five points.

Up 19 in the second half, Harvard continued playing a fast-paced offense, rarely running the shot clock below 20 seconds.

“We weren’t playing disciplined basketball,” Prasse-Freeman said. “The way to keep a team down is to run the clock down on each possession.”

“We talked about taking the clock down, but didn’t do a good job,” Sullivan added. “We haven’t had lots of time to practice taking care of large leads.”

The Crimson had an outstanding game defensively, holding the Catamounts to under 38 percent shooting from the field.

“We’ve never had a field goal defense this low this late in a season,” Sullivan said.

—Staff writer Samuel C. Roddenberry can be reached at scrodden@fas.harvard.edu.