Dartmouth Eliminates Swimming, Diving Teams

By Lisa Kennelly, Contributing Writer

The Dartmouth athletic department’s abrupt announcement last week that it would eliminate its swimming and diving teams at the end of this season has shocked the Dartmouth campus and college athletics nationwide.

Last Tuesday, the department announced that it was eliminating the teams as part of college-wide budget cuts.

“It opens the door to other programs being cut,” said Harvard men’s co-captain Cory Walker.

The cuts will save $212,000 annually, a necessity after a 5.7 percent drop in the school’s endowment last year, according to a Dartmouth press release.

On the Dartmouth campus, the initial response included a late-night rally in front of the residences of Dartmouth College President James Wright and Dean of the College James Larimore.

In the week following, the decision has spawned a website, threats of legal action and most recently the creation of an online auction which hopes to find a donor willing to contribute the funds necessary to keep the program afloat.

Suffering most acutely from the budget cuts are the 53 team members, three full-time coaches and one part-time coach—who were notified of the cuts an hour before the news was released to the public.

The coaches will be paid through the end of the year and will receive severance pay, according to The Dartmouth, the campus newspaper.

But students will receive no equivalent compensation. Some students told The Dartmouth that they were considering transferring to another school in order to continue competing at the Division I level. The decision will also affect prospective students applying for admission in 2003.

Harvard swimmers said this decision would have affected their own college admissions process.

“I know what they’re going through,” said Molly G. Brethauer ’05, recalling how much her own college decision was affected by the presence and strength of Harvard’s swimming program.

Brethauer also said that, for a varsity athlete, the loss of an athletic program is equivalent to eliminating an academic department.

According to the press release, Dartmouth’s administration felt eliminating an entire program was its only feasible option, since previous attempts to evenly distribute reductions throughout the athletic department had not been effective.

In addition, the swimming facility requires more than $20 million in renovations to bring it to the level of other Division I schools.

Neither the men’s nor the women’s swimming teams at Dartmouth have ever captured an Ivy Championship. In fact, the men have never won a single meet in the Eastern Intercollegiate Swimming League since its founding in 1962.

The Harvard men’s team, by contrast, won the Eastern Championship in 2001.

Dartmouth Senior Associate Athletic Director Brian Austin said it was difficult to predict if other programs would fall prey to the same type of cuts.

“You never know how the economy will turn,” Austin said. “This is the first time, but it’s hard to predict the future.”

With these new reductions, Dartmouth now offers 32 varsity sports. While Dartmouth itself has never previously cut a program, Austin noted that Cornell eliminated men’s gymnastics and men’s fencing in 1993.

Harvard has never cut a team, and currently offers the most varsity sports in the nation with 41.

Harvard swimmers said they worry whether a domino effect will result in other Ivy League schools eliminating teams.

“Other schools looking to save money can use [the Dartmouth situation] as an excuse,” Brethauer said.

Austin said, however, that the autonomy of each Ivy will keep a trend from spreading.

Walker is confident in Harvard’s commitment to swimming, saying that recent meetings with Harvard athletic department officials—held in response to the recent cuts—have convinced him of Harvard’s commitment to the program.

“I think they plan on keeping it around for a long time in the future,” Walker said.By LISA J. KENNELLY

Contributing WRITER

“I think they plan on keeping it around for a long time in the future,” Walker said.