Letters

Heavy Metal for Harvard

By Andrew J. Miller

Princeton has one. The University of Chicago has one. Cornell sort of has one, as does Brown. Andover has one, although it’s currently condemned. Even Yale, of all places, has one. But Harvard most definitely does not. In the world of carillons, we’re one of the have-nots.

For those of you who somehow don’t know what a carillon is—and I regrettably suspect you might be quite numerous—a carillon is a set of more than 23 bells (think Lowell bell tower). Indeed the largest set in the world has 77. They can weigh from a few pounds to a few tons. They are played from a console, and most importantly, are in tune (perhaps you had better stop thinking of Lowell). The music they create is beautiful (now you should think the opposite of Lowell) and majestic. This is truly heavy metal for the classical music lover.

This isn’t a new rage, either. People have talked about giving Harvard a carillon for a while. The last offer Harvard received was from a Groton graduate who insisted that two students from Groton be admitted each year in order to care for, and play, the bells. While this alumnus’ idea of preferential treatment is not ideal, having students play the bells most definitely is. At Yale, the Student Carillon Guild offers instruction and recitals, providing an education while creating beautiful music. Learning how to play the bells at my high school was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life; many would find the same here if they were given the opportunity. The presence of a student carillon guild would be yet another reason for students to choose Harvard. As it is, many might well brave the dangers of New Haven just to play the bells, so moving is the experience. Meanwhile, a University Carillonneur would be able to give recitals on days in which school is not in session (such as the nation-wide Fourth of July Let Freedom Ring). The possibilities are limitless.

There has also never been a better time for a carillon at Harvard. Specifically, we have so much more room now (much to the distaste of Allston and Watertown residents), room that could be effectively used for a nice park, with benches and shrubs, perhaps some nice wildflowers and, of course, a carillon tower (with an appropriately sized carillon inside). Just think of the Sunday afternoon recitals in May. Such a park would be a benefit to the surrounding community and a boon to Harvard as well. A carillon here would do much to enrich an already wealthy cultural smorgasbord, and help to placate any residents worried that Harvard will not care for the community at large. Now it’s just up to the administration to do whatever is necessary to ring in the changes.

Letters