Reagan Historian Discusses Current Events

EDMUND MORRIS, Ronald Reagan’s biographer, speaks with undergraduates during a book forum yesterday.
By Karl A. Hinojosa, Contributing Writer

Controversial Pulitzer Prize-winning historian Edmund Morris stressed the parallels between present day events and those of the nation’s 26th president during a forum yesterday as part of the Institute of Politics Book Club.

With around forty undergraduates, graduate students and guests—including Morris’ wife—in attendance in the Lowell House Junior Common Room, Morris discussed his current book Theodore Rex, its prequel, The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt, and Dutch, his controversial biography of Ronald Reagan.

Morris noted similarities between the current political situation and the atmosphere surrounding Roosevelt’s ascension to the presidency following the assassination of William McKinley. He said that Roosevelt, Class of 1880, had to reassure American institutions they were indestructible following the assassination.

Morris drew attention to Roosevelt’s theatrical nature, his political arrogance, and his role in the national environmental conservation movement.

Before opening the forum up for discussion, Morris also spoke at length about his interest in Reagan, which was piqued in the midst of his administration.

“I found Reagan absolutely, hypnotically interesting,” Morris said.

Dutch, Morris’ controversial biography of Reagan, caused many to question his historical methods. The book, written as a narrative from the viewpoint of a fictional character, incited criticism as well as praise for its unusual form when it was published three years ago.

“History should remain open to other literary devices or it will die with scientific techniques,” Morris said.

When the forum opened for questins from the audience, participants asked about Roosevelt’s ego and political acumen and how he would function in today’s media-driven world.

“Roosevelt would shatter the nation’s televisions,” Morris said.

The session maintained a candid atmosphere throughout.

At one point, as Morris was addressing his writing method, his wife Sylvia spoke about how a photo of Abraham Lincoln’s funeral had inspired her own biography of Roosevelt’s second wife.

Yesterday’s event was sponsored by the Book Club of the Harvard Political Union, a newly-created organization that acts under the auspices of the Institute of Politics.

“We’re trying to bring in authors relevant to politics but not just political journalists,” organizer Manik V. Suri ’05 said.