Panel Discusses Public Service and Advocacy

Professor MARY JO BANE speaks at a dinner on public service yesterday at Eliot House while Professor PEDRO NOGUERA (L) and TREVOR S. COX ’01-’02 (R) look on.
By Christopher M. Loomis, Contributing Writer

Students, Faculty and administrators discussed the balance between public service, advocacy and politics yesterday at a dinner panel hosted by the Institute of Politics.

Stressing what he called the integral link between public service and political advocacy, Dimon Professor of Education Pedro Noguera said it was important for students to organize community support around their projects.

Associate Professor of Education and Psychology Gil G. Noam warned of the potential for disconnect between the ivory tower of academia and the realities facing service projects on the ground.

Noam suggested that the University could build a “bridge between theory and practice” through the development of more courses with service components.

The panel also debated the best way for students to balance public service and school work, noting that some students at the College currently spend as much as 20 hours on service per week.

“You don’t have to do it all at once,” University Provost Steven E. Hyman said.

The five members of the panel—moderated by Assistant Dean of the College Judith H. Kidd—all said they agreed the University and its students have an obligation to participate in public service.

Noam said the University was an “interested partner” in paying back the community, while Noguera spoke about the obligation of privileged students to serve the disadvantaged.

As the discussion opened up to students, the debate shifted to the relationship between politics and service. Nearly all present said they agreed that the two were inextricably linked.

Sonia H. Kastner ’03 said future leaders have a responsibility to make a commitment to public service.

“You need to be able to look at the problems you’re trying solve,” Kastner said.

About 30 undergraduates and graduate students involved in service activities ranging from prison education to the environment attended the dinner.