Stacks’ First Chapter Ends

The first phase of Widener Library’s major effort to revamp its stacks ended earlier this week. As of Monday, all of the stacks had been outfitted with improved ventilation systems, better lighting and a new paint job.
By Blythe M. Adler, Contributing Writer

As of Monday, all of Widener Library’s 3.5 million books resided in air-conditioned comfort.

Construction on Level 6 West of the stacks wrapped up Monday, completing the first phase of the Widener Stacks Renovation Project that began in June 1999, according to Beth Brainard, the library’s communications director.

The University initiated the renovation to preserve the library’s collection and upgrade ventilation, lighting, security and temperature control systems within the stacks.

Library officials said they also hoped to make the stacks easier to navigate.

“The myth was always that if you’re smart enough to make it into Harvard, you’re smart enough to find your way around in the library,” Brainard said. “Now, the trek through the stacks will be a lot easier.”

Work on the multi-million-dollar project involved erecting a 180-foot-tall crane with a 300-foot-long boom to lift equipment into the inner courtyard of the building. The crane was removed last year as the project wound down.

The former open-air areas in the center of the library were filled with mechanical rooms, staff work space and two new reading rooms.

There was also extensive behind-the-scenes work, such as the installation of more than 15,000 feet of sprinkler piping on the lower floors.

Brainard said that, throughout the project, managers attempted to minimize the impact on library users and employees.

For example, she said, workers placed chutes out the windows so debris could be discarded directly into dumpsters rather than carted through the library. New study carrels were loaded into the stacks through the windows. Within the building, workers put up temporary walls so that all work was done in enclosed areas.

The library remained open throughout the construction period, albeit with some changes to entrances and exits within the stacks.

Upgrades in the stacks include the cleaning of Widener’s 3.5 million books, a new paint job for the stack shelves involving 840 gallons of paint, motion sensitive lighting, new photocopiers and study carrels, secure storage lockers, well-lit stairs, new elevators and an increased number of computer terminals.

Some students said they were pleased with the library’s new look and feel.

“The renovated parts are much more pleasant and less dark and dreary,” said Jillian R. Shulman ’02.

“I really like Widener and I come here to study because it’s quiet,” said Amy Sitar, a graduate student at the Divinity School. “I haven’t been bothered by construction noises.”

Although construction in the stacks is finished, workers are still moving books back to their proper locations in the stacks.

The renovation now enters its second phase—an overall revitalization of the library, including renovation of the Loker Reading Room, the reference room, the periodicals room and the microtext center.

Phase 2 is slated for completion in spring 2004.