Baseball Rallies to Defeat Huskies

By Lande A. Spottswood, Crimson Staff Writer

When five seniors skipped lunch to take extra batting practice before yesterday’s game, the Harvard baseball team showed its coach that it wouldn’t quit.

Three hours later, it showed the rest of the world.

After falling behind 9-0 to cross-town rival Northeastern, the Harvard baseball team stormed back with a 19-hit offensive explosion to capture its first midweek game of the season, 15-10.

“I was really pleased that we didn’t just sit [when we fell behind],” said Harvard Coach Joe Walsh. “Whether or not you come back to win, it’s good to see we’re not giving up.”

Down 9-0 entering the bottom of the fourth, Harvard scored six runs over the next three innings to cut the lead to a manageable three-run margin.

In the seventh, that lead disappeared.

With runners on second and third, freshman designated hitter Schuyler Mann lined a two-RBI single to right field, bringing the score to 9-8 and the go-ahead run to the plate in senior third baseman Nick Carter.

Carter, one of the five seniors who took early batting practice, turned on a fastball offering from Husky hurler Drew Drillick, driving the pitch over the fence in left-center for a two-run home run.

“I came out here early today to find my swing, and I really think I found it,” Carter said.

Carter’s home run was the only longball of the day for Harvard as the Crimson instead lit up the scoreboard with single after single.

Harvard (13-19, 9-3 Ivy) consistently showed poise at the plate—working deep into counts and hitting with two strikes—while scraping away at Northeastern’s lead.

“We had a lot of guys chipping away and making good, solid contact with two strikes,” said Walsh.

With the score tied at 10-10 in the eighth, sophomore first baseman Trey Hendricks did just that.

After two unsuccessful attempts to bunt senior shortstop Mark Mager over to second base, Hendricks fouled back another pitch before grounding a single down the right field line.

An error by Husky shortstop Omar Pena on a Mann groundball plated Mager and gave the Crimson the lead for good.

Harvard picked up four more base hits in the inning, including freshman second baseman Ian Wallace’s fourth base hit of the day. Wallace finished four-for-four with three RBI.

The Crimson first broke onto the scoreboard in the fourth inning, when Mager led off with a single and advanced to third on a base hit by Mann. A wild pitch by Northeastern starter Justin Hodrick scored Mager.

Both Mager and Mann posted three hits on the afternoon, while Mager scored four times and Mann drove in four runs.

Harvard scored four more runs in the fifth. Mann and Mager both chipped in RBI singles while junior right fielder Nick Seminara doubled and scored.

Junior Barry Wahlberg (2-2) pitched the final two innings to earn the win for Harvard, allowing no earned runs on one hit while striking out four.

Wahlberg and senior Mike Dryden combined to shutdown the Huskies during the Crimson comeback, allowing just one run over the final four innings.

“Mike Dryden especially came in and stopped the bleeding for us and did an excellent job of pitching,” Walsh said.

Dryden allowed no hits and one earned run in two and one-third innings.

The victory, which avenged Harvard’s 7-3 loss to Northeastern in the Beanpot last week, was just the Crimson’s second home win this season.

“We don’t play too many games at home, so it’s nice to play well,” said Walsh.

The Crimson will play four of its final seven home games this weekend when its hosts Brown in a pivotal pair of double-headers on Saturday and Sunday. Both doubleheaders begin at noon.