IOP Names New Director

Clinton cabinet member to lead

By Sarah M. Seltzer, Contributing Writer

Former member of congress and Clinton cabinet member Daniel R. Glickman was named director of the Institute of Politics (IOP) yesterday.

The search committee that selected Glickman consisted of senior Kennedy School officials and was led by Warren Professor of American History Ernest R. May.

In addition, four members of the IOP’s Student Advisory Committee (SAC) interviewed finalists for the position.

“What stood out most in Glickman’s interview was that he asked students what we thought about the IOP and what we wanted it to look like, rather than talking about what he thought it should look like,” said SAC President E. Clarke Tucker ’03.

Glickman, who is currently teaching a course at Georgetown University, said the opportunity to interact with students drew him to the position.

“I have always wanted to spend much more time in an academic environment,” Glickman said. “I’m looking forward to working with the students. I think that’s going to be a big part of my life.”

He said he seeks to use the IOP to foster interest in politics among America’s youth.

“There is lower political involvement among students and younger people than there should be in this country,” Glickman said. “One of my goals is to see what we can do to deal with that problem.”

Glickman will succeed David H. Pryor, who is set to step down from the IOP’s helm in June after a two-year term.

“[Glickman] is a remarkable public servant and has a depth of knowledge about government from the legislative and executive branch experience,” Pryor said. “He’s an excellent choice.”

Pryor’s legacy at the IOP has been one of change, as he instituted major overhaul of SAC last year that he said would make the group less exclusive. He previously has said he hoped to “open the doors to hundreds of new students.”

Students said they see Glickman as someone who will also push for change and expansion.

“I think he’ll bring an open mind in reshaping the institute overall,” said Tucker. “He also brings an administrative ability since he was the head of an organization that had 100,000 employees.”

Glickman served as a U.S. Representative from Kansas’ fourth Congressional district for 18 years, beginning in 1976.

He chaired the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence and also held positions within the Agriculture and Judiciary Committees.

President Clinton appointed Glickman as Secretary of the U.S. Department of Agriculture in March 1995, a post which he held until Clinton’s term ended in 2001.

Since then, Glickman has been working in Washington as a partner in a law firm that deals with public policy.

Glickman said he became excited about the job once he heard of Pryor’s resignation and, after speaking with faculty at the Kennedy School, submitted his resume for consideration.

Glickman said he hopes to bring to the IOP nearly 25 years of experience in civil service and skills as a “listener and consensus builder.”

He also said his tenure in the Agriculture Department won’t influence his agenda.

“Someone asked me if I would be planting soybeans in Harvard Yard,” Glickman quipped. “But I assured him nothing like that would happen.”

Glickman said he plans to visit Harvard next month to speak with staff and students before he assumes the position in August.