Springfest Draws Students, Families

Students enjoy the sun and the fresh air and take advantage of Springfest rides on Saturday. The event drew around 7,000 people who ate hamburgers and listened to music.
By Claire A. Pasternack, Crimson Staff Writer

Even the weather cooperated last weekend as unprecedented numbers of students, faculty, and staff descended on the MAC Quad for an afternoon celebration at this year’s significantly expanded Springfest outdoor festival.

Police and Harvard University Dining Services (HUDS) estimated total attendance to be 7,000, according to Harvard University Police Department Sgt. Richard P. DeCruz.

This year, the festival—organized by the Undergraduate Council and open for the first time to members of the Harvard community—received an added boost in funds from University President Lawrence H. Summers.

A large number of carnival activities and headliner band The Verve Pipe—made possible by the approximately $80,000 that funded this year’s festival—impressed many attendees who called it the best Springfest ever.

“This is about 10,000 times better [than previous Springfests]. It’s a great crowd, great food, everybody had a great time,” said John R. Conway, a Harvard electrician.

“It was clearly much better funded than previous Springfests. It got the cash flow it needed,” Vladimir A. Kleyman ’02 said.

Springfest took on a family-friendly tone this year when Summers suggested faculty, staff, and their families be more included in the events.

Young children played in the Lowell Courtyard, which was filled with age-appropriate rides and activities.

Michael A. Annis, age 10, and Sashko Stubailo, age nine, who were waiting in line for Giant Slide ride, said they liked “the bouncy thing and slide.”

“It’s been great for children, really, very good,” said Claudia B. Danilowicz, a research associate in the Physics Department, who brought her children—aged three, five and seven—with her to Springfest.

Council President Sujean S. Lee ’03 said she was thrilled with the crowd.

“This is the biggest turnout Springfest has ever seen,” she said.

At any one time, approximately 70 children played in the Lowell Courtyard while Harvard students waited in long lines for rides.

The tent where HUDS served burgers, hot dogs, and salad was packed for nearly the full five hours of Springfest.

One of the most popular attractions of this year’s Springfest were the student bands—Un Poquito Mas, Invisible Downtown and Diaco—all of which drew cheering students.

“We had a lot of people out here dancing. It went really really well,” said Alvaro M. Bedoya ’03, a member of Un Poquito Mas.

“Having the student bands just made it incredible. It feels more like community. I feel like I’m at a real, real school,” said Lesley W. Mitchell ’02.

The student bands were so popular that some students wondered whether they would upstage The Verve Pipe—the headliner band the council was able to procure in a $15,000 bid because of added funds from Summers.

The Verve Pipe—which began playing at 3 p.m.—received rave reviews from a crowd of students who danced, cheered, and crowd-surfed during the band’s set.

“I thought they did an unbelievable job. They were a lot of fun,” said Michael J. Tucker ’03.

Before the band’s performance, Lee and Summers both addressed the crowd, thanking each other and members of the Harvard community for their support.

“It’s been an incredible, incredible day. Thank you to all the students, faculty, and staff that came out. This is a departure from past years and I think it’s evident in the crowd,” Lee said.

She then introduced Summers, calling him “the one man who is responsible for all of this.”

After thanking members of his staff and of the council, Summers demonstrated his satisfaction with the turnout.

“They say this is the largest group ever to gather for Springfest and I’m glad it’s true,” he said.

Although most students said they didn’t hear Summers’ remarks, some who did said they thought his and Lee’s address seemed out of place.

“I thought they thanked a lot of the same people. Having all the talking right in a row sort of takes away from it,” Tucker said.

Although several signs hung near the bandstand criticized Summers’ administration—on issues ranging from Harvard’s use of sweatshops to rumors of his initial reluctance to feature a hip-hop act at Springfest—on the whole, Summers’ presence and his office’s financial contribution were well received.

“I thought it was good that he was here,” said Ashley M. Eden ’03.

Other students said that Summers’ appearance was the first step in reconnecting with the student body after the highly publicized conflict with Fletcher University Professor Cornel West ’74.

“I think he has a lot of things to make up for, and it’s a start,” Mitchell said.

Fun Ventures, Inc., the company that provided rides, employed about 30 Harvard students to staff the rides for $100.

“It was a pretty good deal for $100,” said Joseph P. Chase ’02, who worked at the Sand Art booth.

About 20 student groups received grants from the council to staff tables at Springfest.

N. Erkut Kucukboyaci ’04 of the Friends of Turkey Club that gave out cheese pastries and ran backgammon tournaments said he appreciated the chance to introduce students to his club.

“It was great publicity,” he said.

Several other clubs under the umbrella of the Environmental Action Committee set up an “Earth Day Area” in Lowell Small Courtyard (see related story, this page) and handed out free ice cream and Nalgene water bottles and encouraged students to sign various petitions.

The only criticism of Springfest seemed to be that there was no alcohol served.

“Next year we should have beer kegs in Eliot courtyard,” said David J. Gorin ’03.

Overall, students said they were pleased with this year’s Springfest.

“I’m finally seeing my money go somewhere good,” said Keirse G. Crockett ’04, who was repairing student bicycles for the Mountain Biking Club.

Staff writer Claire A. Pasternack can be reached at cpastern@fas.harvard.edu.