Four Years of Harvard History: A Timeline

Crimson FILE Photo

Key players in the Harvard-Radcliffe merger - including then-president Neil L. Rudenstine, far right - pose for a photo in April 1999

1998

SEPTEMBER

South African president and co-recipient of the 1993 Nobel Peace Prize Nelson Mandela receives an honorary degree before a 25,000-person crowd in Tercentenary Theatre. The ceremony, the third of its kind, joins Mandela with George Washington and Winston Churchill as the only men honored with a degree conferment not directly linked to Commencement or the celebration of a University anniversary.

Harvard officials announce a $9 million, 20 percent increase in financial aid that will result in at least $2,000 more in direct aid to nearly half of all undergraduates. The change follows policies announced by other Ivy League colleges during the previous nine months.

OCTOBER

Harvard University Dining Services (HUDS) institutes “fly by” lunches. PB&J; just like mom used to make.

Quincy House announces universal key card access. In the coming months, Cabot, Dunster, Lowell and Winthrop do the same.

NOVEMBER

The Undergraduate Council announces the discovery of $40,000 in a forgotten account due to poor accounting procedures in the past. The council then pledges $25,000 in a heroic but unsuccessful attempt to win the student body a student center.