No. 14 M. Water Polo Continues Ascent, Takes Third at Easterns

By Martin S. Bell, Crimson Staff Writer

For the Harvard men’s water polo team, the 2001 campaign was more of the same. Of course, around Blodgett Pool, that’s been a good thing lately. Over the past few years, more of the same has meant more big wins, more accolades and a still higher bar set for the program.

The No. 14 Crimson (26-10, 7-3 CWPA) continued its gradual ascent in the sport with its best season in recent memory, concluding its run by defeating St. Francis in the third-place game of CWPA Easterns. The team had never placed that high at Easterns in its 21-year history.

Although the finish left the team two spots shy of an NCAA Tournament berth, the Crimson has established itself as a force to be reckoned with in next year’s title mix.

“We are leaving the team in good hands and in excellent position to be the favorites to win the Eastern Championships at the end of next season,” said co-captain Mike Crosby.

A lot of that confidence stems from the Crimson’s proven ability to keep other teams from lighting up the scoreboard. Harvard’s defense was the best in the CWPA this year, as it allowed double-digit goals only five times over the course of the season.

“To some degree, it’s a change in focus,” said Harvard Coach Jim Floerchinger. “It’s about taking more pride in keeping other teams out of your goal, and seeing that as more important than scoring in theirs.”

“But this was really a more coordinated, seamless effort at something we had already done—try to establish a living defense rather than a set defense, and adjust to what teams give you,” Floerchinger added.

That strategy necessitated effectiveness in both team and individual defensive schemes. Anchored by an experienced goalie in co-captain Gresham Bayne, the Crimson’s team defense was impressive enough that during Harvard’s win over Southern Division champion Navy, the U.S. National Team coach called it the best he had seen on the collegiate level.

And due to the Crimson’s depth at every position, Floerchinger was able to substitute players freely, keeping starters fresh and lessening the fatigue factor that often sets in when teams play two or three games per day.

“[The coaching staff] spent significant time ensuring that we all knew the defensive game plan for the team, including in what situations, who would help whom,” Crosby said. “Nevertheless, we as players still were expected to take personal responsibility for our men one-on-one. Communication from Gresham and the two-meter guard, as well as all seven players in the water working incredibly hard—which we were arguably in the best shape on the East Coast to do—were crucial aspects to our successful defense.”

Harvard’s depth also made it difficult for opposing defenses to contain the Crimson effectively. Floerchinger pointed to the senior class as a microcosm of this depth.

“They were probably as good a group of people as you could ever hope to have on your team,” Floerchinger said. “Each had a strength, and they brought a diversity of talents. You don’t have a situation where you have a bunch of guys who are just fast, or a bunch of guys who are just big and they can defend you that way.”

All-East goalie Bayne, drivers Crosby and Seth Cassel, All-East two-meter Sean Cheng and two-meter defenseman Marty Schoen formed the core of a group that had arrived in Floerchinger’s first year, when Harvard was much less prominent on the water polo map.

“We have been the driving force of incredible improvement over the four years from a 12-19 team, not nationally ranked, not making Eastern Championships, to a 26-10 team ranked 14th in the country returning from Easterns with a bronze medal,” Crosby said.

Seniors Kraig Salvesen and former varsity swimmer Charlie Cromwell added experience and speed to an already-deep team.

But Crosby’s confidence about the future is rooted in the remaining talent. Junior drivers Istvan Zollei and Mike Masterson are two of the most formidable offensive presences in the conference, and junior Paul Tselentis will take over as the primary goaltender with a wealth of big-game experience already under his belt.

Juniors Alex Fisher, Theo Ludwick and Chris Lin and sophomore two-meter Todd Schulte were just some of the underclassmen who saw significant time in the past two seasons.

The Northern Division will remain competitive next year despite the death of the UMass varsity program due to budget cuts. The Crimson defeated the Minutemen for the first time in several years with a 6-3 win Nov. 3. Still, challenges remain in the form of St. Francis, Brown and Queens College, and Southern rivals Princeton and Navy.

But Floerchinger is confident the Crimson will remain in the thick of the hunt.

“You want to guard against sitting around saying, ‘We’re awesome now,’ and not working, because then you’ll just lose,” Floerchinger said. “But there are three or four teams that could do great next year, and we could be right there.”

MEN'S WATER POLO

RECORD 26-10 (7-3 CWPA)

COACH Jim Floerchinger

CAPTAINS Michael Crosby, Gresham Bayne

HIGHLIGHTS Harvard finally tops nemesis UMass during regular season, then bests St. Francis in third-place game at Easterns to claim the highest-ever finish in school history. Crimson ends season ranked No. 14 in the country.