Bueller...Bueller...Bueller...

A little rain couldn’t stop Movie Time, and it was a nice diversion from shopping

By The CRIMSON Staff

Last Sunday, amid the ancient trees and proud Halls of Harvard Yard, carnival popcorn machines spewed the overwhelming smell of cooking canola oil and rows of port-a-potties stood ready to receive hundreds of impatient movie-goers. It was University President Lawrence H. Summers’ latest wholesome activity for the Harvard community: Movie Time. Even intermittent rain could not deter the fanatics, who regard watching Ferris Bueller to be a religious experience (especially when Matthew Broderick showers), the bored, who opted not to do their tutorial reading and, of course, the inevitable free-loader types who came for the free junk food.

Hundreds gathered in Tercentenary Theater to laugh at the foibles of Bueller’s maniacal assistant principal and his permed secretary. Some students from Dorm Crew put down their mops and Lysol for the evening to distribute drinks and candies with Harvard University Dining Services. Little children got caffeine highs. It’s the sort of family-friendly event Summers seems to be keen on and Harvard folk generally enjoy.

Students sat on blankets and so did Harvard’s president, who braved not only the wet but the inevitable human contact involved in putting on a show like this. He gets two thumbs up for throwing the party and for sticking it out in the rain.

Spurred by the momentum from this movie night and the highly successful Springfest, Summers should now plan a karaoke night on Harvard Yard and enlist some of our favorite professors to perform. At the very least, Quincy House Master Robert P. Kirshner ’70 could lead us all in the Macarena.