Football Picks New Leader for Offense

By Jon PAUL Morosi, Crimson Staff Writer

Lehigh assistant coach Dave Cecchini was named the Harvard football team’s new offensive coordinator and quarterbacks-receivers coach yesterday.

Cecchini spent the last nine seasons as an assistant with the Mountain Hawks, where he was an All-American receiver in 1993 and began coaching the following season after a tryout in the Canadian Football League.

Cecchini was introduced to the team yesterday. He replaces Jay Mills, who left Harvard last month to become head coach at Charleston Southern University.

“Dave has the specific experience and a track record of success that we were looking for, and we’re delighted to have him aboard,” said Harvard coach Tim Murphy.

From 2000 through 2002, Cecchini was the Mountain Hawks’ offensive coordinator, a period during which they averaged more than 26 points and 350 yards per game.

“Dave is a close friend, and an excellent football coach,” said Lehigh coach Pete Lembo in a statement. “It has been a pleasure to work with him, and I appreciate his contributions to our program’s success.”

Harvard’s offense was eighth in Division I-AA in total offense last season with 426.7 yards per game.

Next fall, the Crimson returns sophomore quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, who led the team in rushing (523 yards) and was second in passing (1,155). Five of Harvard’s top six receivers will also be back.

Harvard and Lehigh met Oct. 5 last year, when the Mountain Hawks erased a 14-point, fourth-quarter deficit to win 36-35 and snap an 11-game Crimson win streak.

“[Lehigh’s] offense is similar to ours,” said sophomore Harvard receiver Rodney Byrnes. “They spread the ball out, that’s one thing I remember about that game. They ran a lot of screens and had a really well-balanced offense.”

“I think he’s going to play a major role for us,” Byrnes said of Cecchini.

Lehigh posted an 8-4 overall record and went 3-1 in nonconference games against Ivy schools. Harvard finished 7-3 overall and 6-1 in Ivy play.

The two teams will not meet in either of the next two seasons, as Lafayette is taking Lehigh’s place on the schedule.

Harvard will resume its series with the Mountain Hawks with a home game in 2005.

—Staff writer Jon Paul Morosi can be reached at morosi@fas.harvard.edu.