Tutors Release Radical Tome

Quincy Tutor TIMOTHY P. MCCARTHY '93 signs the book he co-wrote for JUSTINE WAITKUS at a party in the Qunicy Masters' penthouse.
By Michael A. Feldstein, Contributing Writer

Two Quincy House scholars celebrated the launching of what they hope will be a groundbreaking new book on the history of American radicalism at a party in the House last night.

John C. McMillian, who is currently a resident history and literature tutor in Quincy, and Timothy P. McCarthy ’93—a former tutor in the House—spent four years putting together The Radical Reader.

The work traces the history of American radicalism through a selection of primary documents—including the Declaration of Independence, excerpts from Uncle Tom’s Cabin and Ralph Nader’s 2000 speech, “A Crisis of Democracy.”

Describing the work as “the first book of its kind,” McMillian said he wanted to offer a “more charitable perception” of American radicalism.

In a speech he gave at the party, McCarthy said that he views the role of their book as establishing a tradition of American radicalism—placing it at the center of the narrative of American history.

He also told the guests that “freedom doesn’t just unfold,” arguing that the rights that many Americans take for granted today are the product of radical social movements.

McCarthy also expressed concern with the current state of affairs in American politics.

“Power is consolidated in a way that is very dangerous,” he said, but he added that he sees “great hope” in a generation of radicals which has just begun to emerge.

“It is up to every generation to tap its radical energies,” he said.

Although both McMillian and McCarthy were tutors at Harvard, the two said they met at Columbia, where they are both currently working on their doctorates.

McCarthy said that the impetus for the new work was what he called “a void in the field.”

McMillian added that the decision to write the book was influenced by a course on radicalism both assistants taught with Columbia professor Eric Foner.

When writing The Radical Reader, McMillian said that he and McCarthy kept in mind the goal of making this material “accessible to a wide readership.”

Asked about what he wanted his book to accomplish, McCarthy facetiously replied that he “hopes it will sell.” He went on to say that they “want it to be used in classes,” so that it may empower students who want to dissent.

Tutors and students alike used the party—which took place in Quincy’s posh Masters’ penthouse—as an opportunity to welcome back McCarthy, and all offered him praise.

“Tim has got to be one of the best teachers I’ve ever had,” said Katherine F. O’Gara ’05.

Zoltan Maliga, a resident tutor in Quincy, was more descriptive.

“Tim is like champagne,” Maliga said.