Dante’s Inferno Rages On

By Timothy J. Mcginn, Crimson Staff Writer

Harvard football’s outgoing captain Dante Balestracci added yet another award to an already honor-filled post season yesterday as he was named to the second team Division I-AA All-America.

Balestracci is the 113th player in the history of Crimson football to be named to an All-American squad.

Already tapped as a unanimous All-Ivy selection and a member of the All-New England squad for the fourth consecutive time, Balestracci shone on defense despite his team’s disappointing conclusion to the season, as he moved into second place all-time on Harvard’s career tackles list.

One of four Ivy selections to the squad, Balestracci was the only Ancient-Eight defender selected. The most highly recognized offensive player was Penn offensive lineman Chris Clark.

Yale landed two honorees, with tight end Nate Lawrie and offensive lineman Rory Hennessey selected for the third team.

Balestracci remains in consideration for the Buck Buchanan Award, presented annually to the top defender in Division I-AA. Of the other 15 candidates up for the honor, 10 were selected as first-team members, one was named to the second team and another to the third. Three were omitted.

—Staff writer Timothy J. McGinn can be reached at mcginn@fas.harvard.edu.

Football