Love It Or Leeve It: Yankees Beating Red Sox Just Like They Always Do

Addition of Sheffield, relievers bolsters an already talented squad from the Bronx

By Brenda Lee, Crimson Staff Writer

It’s not the quantity of the deals. It’s the quality.

And still, the Yankees find themselves on top.

In the flurry of activity during the past week, New York and Boston have been restocking their teams in anticipation of another showdown next season.

After the Sox signed Curt Schilling, the Yanks helped themselves more with four signings—the most prominent of which being slugger Gary Sheffield—addressing their needs and setting up deals to come.

No one denies that Schilling, when healthy, makes a team better. But the Red Sox are gambling that at age 37, he’ll return to form after an injury-plagued year in which he went 8-9 with a 2.95 ERA. Schilling pitched in just 24 games last season.

The Yankees want to re-sign Pettitte more than ever now and most experts are saying they will. Even with Pettitte, New York will probably go after Bartolo Colon or Kevin Brown, filling out the rotation nicely with Mike Mussina and Jose Contreras. Newsday reported that the Yankees and Dodgers are talking about a deal involving Jeff Weaver and Brown.

Despite the fact that the Yankees’ rotation remains in the works, the Yankees have had quite a productive week of their own.

The imminent acquisition of Sheffield shores up a shaky position for the Yankees. Sheffield, who according to ESPN has agreed in principle to a three-year deal, is coming off an MVP-caliber year, in which he batted .330 with 39 homers and 132 RBI.

He’ll replace Karim Garcia in right, who batted just .262 with 11 homers and 35 RBI and is more widely known for (allegedly) decking someone than run production. And Sheffield, once known for his attitude, had two controversy-free years in Atlanta.

Sheffield is no young buck himself at age 35, but he did just fine playing in 155 games last year. He also brings a sharp eye (just 55 K’s last season) to the strike-out heavy New York lineup. In comparison, Garcia struck out 52 times in 76 games.

With Sheffield in the mix, the Yankees can have Derek Jeter, Bernie Williams, Jason Giambi, Sheffield and Jorge Posada in the first five spots in the lineup, and Alfonso Soriano either at the bottom or leading off.

Compare what the Yankees are getting to the Schilling deal. What’s more desirable: a recent MVP candidate or an aging, injured power pitcher?

The Yankees know they need a bullpen that will prevent Mariano Rivera from having to pitch in the eighth inning.

So New York went out and got Tom “Flash” Gordon, who fills the right-handed set-up role left empty last season by an injured Steve Karsay. Gordon is a huge acquisition. He pitched in 66 games for the ChiSox, going 7-6 with a 3.16 ERA. He had 91 strikeouts in 74 innings and led Chicago with 12 saves.

True, Gordon is 36, but he’s already made his comeback from injury, after having Tommy John surgery four years ago.

He has proven that he is healthy—his wicked curve limited hitters’ average to .182 after the All-Star break last season.

According to ESPN’s Peter Gammons, the Yankees signed relief pitcher Paul Quantrill yesterday.

A lefty with a slider, Quantrill will compliment Gordon nicely. Felix Heredia also resigned yesterday, and Yankees hope Gabe White will follow. By shaping up the bullpen, the Yankees have made Weaver expendable—and good trade material for a run at another starter.

Resigning Aaron Boone—he of the 11th-inning home run against the Red Sox—and Enrique Wilson brings back two solid members of the infield. Not every signing needs to be a blockbuster, and their returns are two more pieces falling in place for the Yankees.

New York over Boston yet again. Business as usual.

Staff writer Brenda E. Lee can be reached at belee@fas.harvard.edu.