Letters

Students Should Not Be Pressured To Spy

Letters to the editors

By Tzu-huan Lo

To the editors:

I believe I am not alone in my disgust at The Crimson’s editorial of February 12 (Editorial, “A Resource for Reconnaissance”). The opinions expressed were abominable to say the least. The editorial proposed that the U.S. should target foreign students to inform on possible weapons programs, naming China as the chief, but not only, culprit.

Understandably the U.S. has much to fear from proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, but the fear is reaching paranoid levels. Though actions of the Chinese government may not always be perceived as friendly, it is quite a leap to suggest that a regime which bullies its denizens is poised to threaten the U.S. Regardless of its heinous record in human rights, China is self-interested like all nations and probably favors economic development over ruinous war. Unlike North Korea, there has been no indication that the leaders in Beijing are outright mad in their approach to diplomacy. Though espionage remains a serious issue, fear of Chinese nuclear aggression seems overblown.

Furthermore, using foreign students as pawns in an international game of intelligence will just position other countries as adversaries. This approach would be imprudent at a time when cooperation may be critical to routing terrorism, and maybe help improve the economic situation at home.

Such a move would further erode academic freedom, which is already suffering the difficulties imposed by security measures in processing visas. Though the editorial claims that recruitment without coercion is possible, it places students from suspect countries in an exceedingly difficult position. They would be forced to choose between loyalty and personal desire for academic opportunities. If this is not coercion, what would be? Furthermore, if the suspect nation is known for complete disregard for human rights, what treatment might these students expect upon return? These details might be worked out, but the worst possible crime against academia remains—that of holding learning hostage to narrow, political interests.

Tzu-Huan Lo ’03

Feb. 12, 2003

Letters