Safety First

The recent tragedies are a sign that owners and patrons must be careful at nightclubs

By The CRIMSON Staff

The recent nightclub tragedies in Chicago, Ill. and Providence, R.I. strike with especial poignance to the college crowd. The sad and painful death of so many people resonates with students—many of whom frequent nightclubs regularly. It seems that disasters such as these could strike at a club near Harvard, or any college campus, in the plainest and most ordinary of circumstances.

These events are an added reminder of students’ responsibilities as potential patrons of nightclubs, bars, theaters or other venues of public gathering and entertainment. People out for the evening should note the entrances and exits to the places they visit, and potentially avoid places that see overcrowded, unhealthy or hazardous. Basement clubs, with one small door for both entrance and exit are a particularly poor choice.

But by no means does patron care absolve owners and operators of public gathering places of their responsibilities as well. They must be thorough and vigilant in the upkeep and proper operation of their facilities. Design limits must be known and must be maintained at a high enough standard. Municipal authorities, often known for laxity or petty corruption, must recognize the life-threatening importance of their work and strive to establish and enforce adequate and sensible building codes, particularly in buildings open for public use. Western European standards for such buildings are often cited as being nearly ideal, and should be investigated for our own potential adoption.

While we mourn the deaths of so many young people under such ordinary yet tragic circumstances, America must draw the lessons necessary to prevent a repeat of these disasters. Patrons must be mindful of their own safety, and owners and regulators must establish acceptable standards to help insure it. Avoiding a repeat of these recent events is absolutely necessary, and requires constant attention.