America: Let the Games Go On

March to the Sea

By Alex M. Sherman, Crimson Staff Writer

More people read the front page than the sports page. That’s a fact, as much as sports writers hate to admit it.

Why is that? The answer is obvious—most people regard sports as inconsequential to their daily lives. Many are more concerned with politics or local news. Sports are just games—and when the games end, the players can always return home to the safety and comfort of their “normal lives.” Why would people be more interested in reading about such ephemeral events as whether the Red Sox beat the Devil Rays while our friends, relatives and neighbors are risking their lives in defense of our country overseas?

It is clear why news is number one and sports takes a backseat.

So why is it so important than our armed services are able to see the Super Bowl live? Why is it such a big deal that NCAA basketball and Major League Baseball go on in a time of war? Why is it that the only thing my grandfather wanted to know in his letters from France and Germany during World War II was if the Red Sox were going to make the playoffs?

Sports offer a needed break from reality, especially when times are difficult. People in all manner of situations are comforted with the knowledge that when 7 p.m. arrives, the game will be on.

There is something magical and exciting about the vicarious pleasure fans receive from watching sports. We need the games to continue for the soldiers and for ourselves. In fact, sports are more important now than ever. The “positives” of life cannot shut down in war. For some, sports are like oxygen, especially in the United States among 18-to-24-year-olds. A great deal of our soldiers fall into this demographic. Our troops not only miss their families—they also miss entering office pools and rooting for the underdogs in the NCAA Tournament.

Sports are fun. War is not. And there’s only so much a human being can take of the “not” stuff. Images of dead bodies and bombs bursting over Baghdad may make us understand the fragility of life but they do not energize and excite us. Playing sports, watching sports, reading about sports—even gambling on sports—provides enjoyment essential in times of war.

We can have war “break-ins” by Dan Rather to update us on the safety of loved ones overseas. But it was wrong when CBS preempted games for total war coverage and it would have been wrong for the NCAA Tournament to be cancelled or the Major League Baseball season to be delayed.

Americans should have a choice with how they deal with serious situations. Some handle it better by addressing the problem head-on. Others prefer the distraction. It is best to offer a choice.

Is war more important than sports? To most yes, to others no. The important thing is to maintain the routine and the familiar. Everyone—our soldiers included—do not want the world to stop even if they are in action. The old proverb “baseball, mom and apple pie” still applies. Sports are integral to the American spirit—we root for the underdog just as we crave the “rags to riches” life. We love the camaraderie of being a part of something larger than ourselves, of cheering with thousands of others, of feeling the competitive spirit.

So the next time you watch Butler defeat Mississippi St. in the final seconds or the Diamondbacks shock the Yankees in the World Series, remember that feeling—for some, it’s part of what makes life worth living.

And if you’re still going to skip past the sports page, that’s fine too—but at least read my column first.

—Staff writer Alex M. Sherman can be reached at sherman@fas.harvard.edu