Shuttle Service Trims Schedule, Routes

By The CRIMSON Staff

The shuttle buses will run less frequently and no longer stop at the river Houses or Union Dorms this summer, after the Summer School Dean’s office decided Tuesday to adjust the schedule in response to requests by Quad residents and a study of ridership patterns.

A lack of ridership from students living in the Houses along the river and Greenough, Pennypacker and Hurlbut Halls resulted in the elimination of those stops. In addition, shuttle services will begin 45 minutes later each morning, and all afternoon shuttle buses have been cancelled.

The schedules were also adjusted to accommodate class schedules. Morning routes will now leave at 15 and 45 minutes past the hour, rather than on the hour and half hour.

Summer School Dean of Students Christopher Queen said the changes will not adversely affect students.

“I think it should make life better for students,” he said. “Students living in Pforzheimer and Cabot houses will have more direct service to the Yard and Annenberg, as other routes that were not being frequently used are eliminated.”

Gabriel Clement, a shuttle bus driver, said that the removal of the river stops has made the service more efficient.

“Most of the students were going to Annenberg, and it took more time to go from Quincy House to Annenberg,” he said. “No one was even at those stops.”

Since Harvard Summer School funds the summer Shuttle Bus service, changes made to the shuttle schedule may allow money to be directed elsewhere.

“Money that we save by consolidating the bus routes can be used for cultural, social and recreational programs,” Queen said.

For students with disabilities, an alternate van service runs from 7:45 a.m. until 7 p.m., and an evening van service until 3 a.m. Both services are run on an as-needed basis.

—SABRINA GUSMORINO