HUPD Arrests Two at Kennedy School Trespassers

By Hera A. Abbasi and Hana R. Alberts, Crimson Staff Writerss

The Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) said officers arrested two men with records of violent crime yesterday, after one of the men verbally confronted Kennedy School of Government employees and stole a camera from another employee.

According to HUPD spokesperson Steven G. Catalano, officers received a call at 2 p.m. from witnesses who reported that a suspicious individual in his 40s was arguing with several staff members in the KSG courtyard, Catalano said.

Witnesses said they had seen the individual and another man going in and out of KSG offices earlier in the day, he said.

By the time officers reached the scene, the suspect had fled toward Central Square. Officers then obtained a description of the suspect.

About 15 minutes later, an officer observed a man matching the suspect’s description entering a record store on Mass. Ave.

Officers conducted a field interview with the suspect who, according to Catalano, told officers he had stolen a camera, and then produced the stolen camera. Officers arrested the individual.

HUPD officers then received a report of a suspicious individual in his 20s in the KSG courtyard.

According to witnesses, the second man had accompanied the first suspect into the KSG buildings. The second individual appeared to be waiting for the first suspect in the courtyard, Catalano said.

When officers approached the second suspect and attempted to conduct a field interview, the suspect became “extremely agitated” and officers subsequently arrested him for disorderly conduct, Catalano said.

That individual claimed he was not connected to the man arrested earlier in the afternoon. Catalano said the suspects’ motivations were unknown.

Catalano also commended the efforts that led to the arrests.

“Everyone did what they were supposed to do,” he said. “People called when they should have called, and with a little bit of luck and a good description, we caught the guys.”

—Staff writer Hera A. Abbasi can be reached at abbasi@fas.harvard.edu.

—Staff writer Hana R. Alberts can be reached at alberts@fas.harvard.edu.