Colorful Affair Ends in Tie

Overtime brouhaha leads to multiple ejections, as Crimson settles for draw

Jessica E. Zbikowski

Junior captain Will Craig scored Harvard's lone goal in the Crimson's disappointing season-ending draw with Columbia.

While the Harvard men’s soccer team saw a lot of red and yellow from the referees on Saturday, it could not quite get the win and give itself a green light for the Ivy Championship.

In a rough, overtime affair, the Crimson (9-6-1, 3-2-1) ended up tying Columbia (3-10-3, 1-4-1), 1-1.

Over the course of the game the referees ended up handing out three yellow cards and one red card to Columbia and one of each to Harvard.

Both reds were handed out in the same play, when sophomore forward Scott Waddell knocked senior defender Sam Wiggin to the ground. During the ensuing melee and attempt by the referees to discuss what occurred, junior midfielder Brian Charnock was also sent off for excessive arguing with the officials.

The fighting started earlier when Wiggin and Waddell had been talking to one another on a corner kick.  When the ball went up, Waddell ran by and hit Wiggin in the back, sending the Crimson defender to the ground.

Despite the penalty-filled overtime, the Crimson had many opportunities to put away the game.

Harvard scored first in the 19th minute of play when junior defender and captain Will Craig scored off a free kick taken by junior midfielder Jeff Chivers, who was credited with the assist. Chivers kicked the ball into a clump of players who were sitting in the box, and Craig, who was late coming in for the kick, found the ball bounce out of the pile and towards him. Craig took the shot from 12 yards out putting it into the right side of the net.

“It happened to squirm through,” Craig said.

The goal was the first for Craig this season, and he appeared very excited as he screamed and ran into a pile of his teammates following the score.

“[Craig] scored a great goal today,” Kerr said. “But it just wasn’t enough.”

The Crimson relinquished the advantage they had by scoring the first goal only minutes later when the Lions came back to tie the score in 30th minute of play.

Columbia midfielder John Mulhern collected the goal after his shot from outside the box hit the crossbar and bounced straight down, just over the goal line.

In the second half, the Crimson never really got its offense together, posting only three shots on net.

Its defense, however, stepped up its play to keep the game knotted, particularly in the last minute when Craig tackled a Columbia player on a breakaway to save the game from ending in a Lion win.

“[Craig] has been playing really well the past few games when it has really counted,” Kerr said. “He is a great captain, [and] he’s had a great year.”

In overtime, Harvard really stepped up its pressure on Columbia by posting five shots on goal and keeping the Lions from getting even one opportunity against junior goalie Ryan Johnson.