New Ec 10 Course Head To Step In

By Jeffrey C. Aguero, Crimson Staff Writer

Ec 10’s 624 students have a new course head at their helm.

Baker Professor of Economics Martin S. Feldstein has appointed Bruce D. Watson the new head teaching fellow (TF) for Social Analysis 10, “Principles of Economics,” to replace Assistant Professor of Economics Judith Li, who served in the post for several years.

Li moved to Los Angeles after the completion of fall term. Having recently had a baby, she is, according to Feldstein, “taking some time off from academic work.”

Watson, who has served as an Ec 10 section leader during the past few years, also assumed lecturing responsibilities for Ec 1010a, “Microeconomic Theory,” in fall 2002 when Lecturer on Economics Robert H. Neugeboren ’83 was temporarily removed due to student complaints.

Feldstein said he was glad that Watson, also the assistant senior tutor of Lowell House, agreed to take over the position.

“He always ranks at the top of the teaching list and has been a thoughtful adviser to me,” wrote Feldstein in an e-mail.

Watson’s appointment has been accompanied by some small, but significant changes to one of Harvard’s most popular courses.

Watson said that he and Feldstein worked last fall on compiling a new sourcebook for this semester so that it

would include articles that “represent some of the most interesting and up-to-date economics writing available.”

Unlike past versions, the new sourcebook readings will also be accompanied by study questions, as well as exams from the past two years.

Watson also said that while the exams will remain in the same format as in the fall, the TFs will take “extra care” to ensure fairness.

In addition, he plans to make exams easier to prepare for by drawing all exam questions from the study questions in the sourcebook.

Watson’s efforts to improve the year-long course have already been noticed by the students in Ec 10. They applaud his energy and enthusiasm, calling it a notable difference from Li’s time at the helm.

According to Kate O. Ahlborn ’07, Watson sent out an e-mail to all students with “his office hours and even gave us directions [to his office].”

“I never got an e-mail from Judith Li,” Ahlborn said. “I never even knew she was the head TF.”

Maurice S. Chen ’06, a member of Watson’s section, shared Ahlborn’s opinions of Li describing her as a “body less identity.”

Chen did say that while he is excited about Watson’s new role, there are some drawbacks.

“Because he only teaches one section now, there are many more students in it,” said Chen. He was referring to the fact that to deal with his new responsibilities, Watson condensed his two section load of last term into one.

But Chen said that Watson’s energy and competency as a TF compensates for the crowding.

“There’s no doubt that Bruce Watson is one of the best TFs at Harvard,” he said.

—Staff writer Jeff Aguero can be reached at aguero@fas.harvard.edu.