W. Water Polo Falls Short Against No. 5 Princeton

By Timothy J. Mcginn

February was long gone by the time the Harvard women’s water polo team captured its fourth win of the season during its 2003 campaign. This year’s incarnation made sure no such early-season woes would befall the squad.

The No. 6 Crimson headed south to New Jersey for the Princeton Invitational, falling to the host No. 5 Tigers 8-2, but picking up a pair of victories to double its total season output through two tournaments.

Riding high off a second-place finish at the Ivy Championships the week before, Harvard (4-2) began the tournament with a strong showing, knocking off No. 9 Bucknell (2-1) courtesy of dominant play during the middle two quarters.

Holding even with the Bison through the first quarter, the Crimson scored one more goal than Bucknell in each of the two successive periods before holding level in the final frame to maintain the two-goal lead.

But the momentum was insufficient to propel Harvard past hometown Princeton (3-1) and its high-powered offense. The Crimson held the Tigers to eight goals—only No. 1 Michigan held Princeton to fewer—but could net only two of its own, falling to an Ivy foe for the second time in two weeks.

Brown defeated Harvard to take the Ivy title last weekend by a similarly wide margin at 8-1.

After an exhibition game against Annapolis, the Crimson closed out the tournament with a commanding 9-6 victory over Villanova.

Women's Water Polo