Baseball Sweeps Michigan, Falls to ULL

SWING AND MISS
Lela A. Brodsky

Sophomore Matt Brunnig, shown here during a preseason scrimmage, tossed eight innings of three-hit baseball in Harvard's 3-1 win over Michigan on Saturday.

The wins were a little sweeter for Lance Salsgiver.

In a weekend in which the Harvard baseball team split four games on a swing through the Louisiana Bayou,the sophomore outfielder from Davison, Mich. took a little extra joy in sweeping a pair from his home state Wolverines.

“I probably knew about 10 guys on the team,” Salsgiver said. “It certainly [made it a lot more satisfying].”

Behind stellar pitching from senior Trey Hendricks and sophomore Matt Brunnig and timely hitting, the Crimson (4-4) topped the Big Ten team once each on Saturday and Sunday, but dropped a set of slugfests to host Louisiana-Lafayette.

“I think we had a pretty good weekend,” Salsgiver said. “We ran into a pretty good hitting team there, against Louisiana-Lafayette, and our pitching wasn’t as good as it could have been, but I think that we’re making progress.

ULL 23, HARVARD 9

The Ragin’ Cajuns were swinging the bats as if they were from Baton Rouge, not Lafayette, yesterday, as ULL pounded out 22 hits off of six Harvard pitchers in a display of offensive power.

Harvard starting pitcher Mike Morgalis (0-2) took the loss, allowing eight earned runs in three innings.

Trailing 6-1 through three innings, the Crimson rallied back to tie the score in the top of the fourth. With two outs and Hendricks on third, sophomore Frank Herrmann blasted a two-run homer to pull the score to 6-3. Freshman left fielder David Bach then singled, stole second and scored on a base hit by sophomore shortstop Morgan Brown. Senior center fielder Bryan Hale then drove in Brown with Harvard’s second homerun of the inning to tie the game at 6-6.

But the Ragin’ Cajuns answered right back with six runs in the bottom of the inning, and the Crimson never threatened again.

Hendricks and Hale finished 2-for-4 and 2-for-5, respectively, while sophomore second baseman Zak Farkes added three hits for Harvard.

First baseman Phillip Hawke went 2-for-5 with five RBI for ULL, finishing the weekend with 11 RBI in two-games against the Crimson.

HARVARD 5, MICHIGAN 3

The day after picking up his first career save against the Wolverines, Hendricks once again nailed down a Harvard victory.

Hendricks (1-1) tossed a 10-hit, complete game and went 3-for-4 at the plate with an RBI-double to lead the Crimson past Michigan (5-9) for the second time in as many days.

Harvard jumped out to an early lead in the bottom of the first. Michigan ace Michael Penn walked Salsgiver to open the game. Salsgiver then advanced on a single by sophomore second baseman Zak Farkes and a pass ball, before scoring on grounder by junior catcher Schuyler Mann to put the Crimson up 1-0.